News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Thunderbird swingarm on my Tiger!

Started by AlienFing, August 14, 2015, 06:59:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlienFing

Only recently got my '93 'steamer' and after looking at pictures of others have realised that mine has the swingarm from a Thunderbird or something, no concentric adjuster!

I'm guessing this would not be like it from factory and would have been changed somewhere down the line! Would it be due to something being better or easier etc, or just the fact that there may have been no available used Tiger ones available???

Should I source a Tiger swingarm and replace or ignore the fact and enjoy the bike?

Any help thankfully received.

Mustang

the original probably broke where the pinch bolt tightens the eccentric adjuster (very common)

it does appear that it has a little bit lower ride height ....................being anal retentive like myself and others  :ImaPoser on this forum I would find the Tiger one that belongs there  :bad

Nick Calne

You probably have a better engineering solution as the original design is pants and snaps as Mustang points out.

I say stick with it!
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

JayDub

Quote from: Mustang on August 14, 2015, 07:34:49 PM
being anal retentive like myself and others
Yup, that's Steamer ownership... If you're not now... you will be  :icon_biggrin:
- and you'll be needing another in-fill panel for the side of your airbox, possibly both sides  :icon_rolleyes:  :ImaPoser

Nick Calne

Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

AlienFing

I think I'll stick with it for now, it's obviously strong enough for the job, and I don't like the concentric adjusters much anyway!

Quote from: JayDub on August 14, 2015, 07:49:55 PM
Yup, that's Steamer ownership... If you're not now... you will be  :icon_biggrin:
- and you'll be needing another in-fill panel for the side of your airbox, possibly both sides  :icon_rolleyes:  :ImaPoser

Yes I do need the covers for both sides of the airbox! I can only find right side ones on flebay! Not bothered about colour as not factory paint anyway, will be redone metallic black over winter.
If anyone has any covers going would be hugely appreciated. Oh and a rack as Nick pointed out  :icon_wink:

Geoff W

That swingarm is probably an improvement on the original, I have had to replace two originals, as I am so cack-handed . Stay with it as is, useful to know that a Thunderbird arm can fit.
It\'s ok , this will only take 5 minutes.
96 Pimento Red Steamer.

tankerman

Lucky sod got a centre stand! Oh dear, I think I'm becoming A-R already!

Regards.

AlienFing

Quote from: Geoff W on August 14, 2015, 09:21:04 PM
That swingarm is probably an improvement on the original, I have had to replace two originals, as I am so cack-handed . Stay with it as is, useful to know that a Thunderbird arm can fit.

Yeah the swingarm is direct bolt on with no mods, just been doing some homework  :icon_biggrin:

AlienFing

Quote from: tankerman on August 14, 2015, 09:28:36 PM
Lucky sod got a centre stand! Oh dear, I think I'm becoming A-R already!

Regards.

Lucky me eh! Wasn't fitted that long ago either, the receipt came with the bike  :thumbsup Bit of a sod to get it on it at the mo, due to lack of luggage rack  :icon_sad:

Sin_Tiger

You've got original indicators  :love10 being a bit AR too I prefer the eccentric look (93 would be natural alloy rather than later black anodised if you want to be really picky) but if that works for you I'd just go with it as is. It certainly would upset even an old indicator whore like me  :icon_rolleyes:

If you do find used infill panels, have a good check around the holes on the return that mounts to the air box,  very often they are cracked from people trying to force the tank off without removing them first.

I have a spare tubular steel rack (correct for that model year  :icon_rolleyes: ) , there was someone else looking for one but if he doesn't speak up soon you'd be next in line. Needs a bit of a tidy but it's straight.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

AlienFing

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on August 14, 2015, 11:17:27 PM
You've got original indicators  :love10 being a bit AR too I prefer the eccentric look (93 would be natural alloy rather than later black anodised if you want to be really picky) but if that works for you I'd just go with it as is. It certainly would upset even an old indicator whore like me  :icon_rolleyes:

Indicators are no more, they have been sent to the steamers in the sky! One was melted on the exhaust, all of them perished and were only held on with duct tape! They have now been replaced by mini indicators, the optional cigarette lighter!!! opposite side to clock has been replaced by a USB port, and the bars have been replaced with a set of low braced Renthals. The rest will stay pretty much as is tho, just need the side panels and luggage rack  :icon_eek:

Sin_Tiger

I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

AlienFing

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on August 14, 2015, 11:17:27 PM
I have a spare tubular steel rack (correct for that model year  :icon_rolleyes: ) , there was someone else looking for one but if he doesn't speak up soon you'd be next in line. Needs a bit of a tidy but it's straight.

Yes please if available, let me know a price and postage  :icon_biggrin:

JayDub

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on August 14, 2015, 11:29:38 PM
Restless crossed, see edit above.
I feel your pain Niall..... you're so cruel AlienFing  :nono