News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

burring sound

Started by ChillMan, August 17, 2015, 03:27:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChillMan

Hehe, well, I thought at least one here would know suitable dimensions.

Kink as in hit it with a hammer?

Bixxer Bob

Ozark might be on to something there.  If you aren't up to a proper fix, you could wind some dental floss around the screw under the head until it takes up the slack and tie it off. 
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Bixxer Bob

Don't go getting a hammer, I'll get the sizes for you.

Spire clips:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/111606511362?hlpht=true&hlpv=2&rlsatarget=&adtype=pla&ff3=1&lpid=122&poi=&ul_noapp=true&limghlpsr=true&device=c&chn=ps&crdt=0&ff12=67&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff14=122&viphx=1&ops=true&ff13=80 

Size 8 are what you want.  In metric that's 4mm

Then you want three size 8 or 4mm stainless steel self pan head tapping screws 12mm or half an inch long
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Bixxer Bob

If you're going to try yourself, it's a good idea to take the exhaust off the bike so you can rest in on an old cushion on the bench. this will reduce massively the chance of slipping with the drill.  Once on the bench and the cushion, the first job is to mask off the shiney bits with tape, then knock out the centre rivet stems.  A thin punch and a few sharp taps with a hammer should do.  Then with care and patience and a sharp drill on a slow speed, you can drill the old rivets out taking care not to slip off.

Then fit the spire clips and you're ready to re-assemble.

Even if you aren't keen now, getting it off the bike and taking in your hands to a garage (rather than a bike shop if you don't have engineering works near you) and plead with them :thumbsup

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: Chris Canning on August 18, 2015, 10:16:06 AM
I come across this problem most days 'It's an easy job mister' 'In that case why don't do it yourself' errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr  :icon_redface:

It's only easy when you know how,it's not about how long it will take it's about how many F ups that person has had to go through to learn what he/she knows that's what you are paying for  :icon_wink:

That's a very good point Chris!!  Hence my caption "I make the mistakes so you don't have to..."

ChillMan

Excellent, Bixxer Bob!

For completeness, I'd like to add that my mechanic is not a bike shop, he's independent, doing service and repairs, Triumph, Kawa and HD.

I suppose I might be able to take the exhaust off.. just maybe.. but so far everything I try to do there's a hidden can of worms, so probably also this part project would have too. :-D

I live in an apartment in the middle of the centre of our city of 2 million. It's parked behind the building where I live, reasonably hidden from prospective theives or drunken random bypassers, BUT I have no space to do anything big, like installing a bench to drill on and so on. Add to that my zero experience, things can easily get ugly, or hairy... or both.

I'm interested in your idea about the dental floss! Did you with "screw" mean the three visible heads of the rivets? I think it is - but just to be sure. It's probably the more pragmatic way to go for me since I cannot do a proper job (which would be more my style, but not having my own garage and so on...)

I suspect that the rivets do not have any visible slack, it's more likely just half a millimeter or something. I'll investigate that in more detail, in a few hours.

What diameter of dental floss should I use? (I AM JOKING! :-D)

motoOzarks

How many of them are loose?
How good a fix you want?

Wedge something under it to stop the noise

Smoodge a wad of jb weld over the whole thing

or drill them out

block up the space behind the rivets under the bracket and smack em real good or use an air chisel and see if they will tighten up

stick a screw driver or something into the bracket under the rivet and twist and see if it takes up space and jams it quiet

I'd have a hot babe ride on back and just hold it for me

the muffler shield

we need pictures

Have had:  Girelli Bronco 50, Honda xr70, Yamaha YZ80, Yamaha MX175, Suzuki TS250, Honda XR350, Honda XR500, Honda XL600r, Suzuki DR200, Suzuki GS1100e, Honda Ruckas 49, BMW F650GS
Have:  Yamaha TW200, Suzuki DRZ400s, Triumph Tiger 955i

ChillMan

If I have to tweak something every few months, then that's fine if it only takes a few minutes.

Smoodge? I do love my bike but come on, I'm not gonna make out with it. :)

About the screw driver, you mean to bend the bracket slightly to get it closer to shield? I don't understand, shouldn't it bend the other way to make more tension in the rivet to hold it firmer (preventing the sound)?

Yeah, the hot babe on the back, problem solved. :)

I'll get pics for you today.

ChillMan

Here is my exhaust.

I was knocking on the shield, pressing at various places. Same sound with or without pressing, which indicates that the rivets are firm. Don't know how to explain that...

When running engine at some RPM it burrs and when I press on the shield it stops.

The rivet further to the rear is dark, the other two shining metal. Do you see that in my image? What could that be?

And, to my big surprise I found a big dent at the read end of the shield?! I don't know when or how that came to happen, possibly quite a while ago but it kind of looks like bird shit so I thought it'd just go away when I wash the bike next time. Didn't even examine it until today.

Bixxer Bob

Looks like it's been changed at some point.  ideally the floss should go between the heat shield and the mounting on the silencer but I see that could prove a challenge.  Doable, but will take time.  Ozarks idea of wedging something behind it would work too. 

ChillMan

There's no room for any floss on the outside.. not even 0.5mm gap of those rivet heads.

A wedge was my first thought, but it has to be a heat resistant material. Ideas?

JayDub

Silicone... maybe from and old kitchen utensil?  :sign13

Sin_Tiger

That must have been some some bird shit to put a dent in the shield  :bug_eye

It won't have to be heat resistant to use on the shield.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

motoOzarks

Rivets not loose?

take a step back

wedge anything for now, wood as in stick, gravel, folded cardboard, whateva

is your dent real close to touching the muffler?  could it be just that part vibrating?

maybe noise from inside muffler, baffles against the shiny part

are the muffler mounts tight? and where the exhaust comes apart tight?

your not touching anything else back there when you touch and it stops?

The end/exit of the can tight?

Have had:  Girelli Bronco 50, Honda xr70, Yamaha YZ80, Yamaha MX175, Suzuki TS250, Honda XR350, Honda XR500, Honda XL600r, Suzuki DR200, Suzuki GS1100e, Honda Ruckas 49, BMW F650GS
Have:  Yamaha TW200, Suzuki DRZ400s, Triumph Tiger 955i

ChillMan

It might be that when I press the shield, if it itself is not loose at all, it in turn presses on something that is slightly loose.