News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Coolant in oil

Started by Trimac, August 18, 2015, 07:15:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trimac

Hi this is the first time I've posted
Hope I'm posting right place.
I've had my bike in storage for 5 years
It's got 18000 miles on.
So first thing I wanted to do was to change all fluids.
I started with oil and was shocked to find
About 3cups of green coolant in oil.i drained the oil cold as I did not want to start bike after standing so long.so coolant ran out first with caremal colour oil on top.
Bike was running fine before storing.
Any help and what I should do before trying to start her up
Thanks Trimac

Mustang

most likely scenario is  failed cylinder liner sealant and unfortunately that's a head off tear-down .

Trimac

Hi Mustang
Thanks for response
Not what I wanted to hear but at least I can put
All the other mods on hold as it doesn't seem il be riding soon.
Is there any chance the coolant could leak through waterpump ceals
With the bike standing so long.
Is there any info on doing the tear down and recealing.
Thanks

Mustang

Sin_Tiger

How was the coolant level before you drained it?
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Trimac

Hi Mustang  thanks for info.
Will file it till finances improve.
There was about 1.5 lit of clean coolant  that came out cooling system.
The coolant still tested good.
I flushed cooling system both ways was very clean no muck.
But not sure what to do now as I will have to store bike till next season
Thanks for you're input so far

Trimac

Sorry Sin tiger
I see you asked about coolant
Not doing well today  Thanks

Sin_Tiger

That's a pity, at least you know what to put on your Christmas list  :icon_wink: and you know where we are when you're ready  :wave
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Bixxer Bob

Well, if we're painting a picture it might as well be black;  I'm asking myself how much clearance (depth) is there from the bottom of the sump to the main and big end bearings....  Sitting in coolant might not have harmed them but be prepared.  If it turns out I'm wrong then that's good news eh???   :nod
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Trimac

One positive is I have not run the bike since storing, I drain oil cold so depending where the coolant leaked in.
I was hoping it could be waterpump standing so long thought ceals might have hardened???dont know
I've been looking on net but not much at all.
Mustang has given advise and makes sense .
Bike was going so well and only 18000 miles
Still hoping there might be quick fix.
Been reading this site thinking ill be doing the airfilter mod
Not trying to sort oil coolant out.
Thanks again for input.

Sin_Tiger

You might be lucky and the lack of oxygen and the corrosion inhibitors in the coolant has kept corrosion to a minimum. If you're going to lay it up after that, overfill the engine with oil.

Trimac

Hi I've bought coolant as I've drained and flushed cooling system.
I've drained oil. I'm going to store bike till next season.
Problem is if coolant is leaking through liners, the oil is going
get coolant draining in.
I will have to sort sleaves out could I fill oil sump with fresh coolant too
Second question is there a way of testing coolant to see if any
Sealant been added to coolant
Thanks

threepot

Why not put fresh coolant..oil in,and run it,and see what happens?? Why store it again? Can't you get someone to use it for you?
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Sin_Tiger

Just drain the coolant before storage. I don't know of a test for that, most test kits only check for hydrocarbons.