News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Sick Tiger

Started by Beernard, September 03, 2015, 12:14:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beernard

Hi All.
I have a problem with my 93 model Tiger. I hope some (or all) of the members may have a theory about it. Bike has 85000 k's. It has happened like this:
- 10 months ago, riding back from Ginger's Creek, 2 big misses. To me, nothing happening in the engine. Total loss of power for a half second. Then behaved for some months.
- 8 months ago: same thing once.
- 6 months ago: same.
- 4 months ago: left my sister's at Newcastle (about 200k's from home) and had 2 of these big misses in the first 10k. Stopped for fuel at Raymond Terrace (about 30k's on). Bike would not start (4.00pm, too! And raining). Turned over fine, but not a skerrick of firing. Took a few breaths and checked fuses (all good), flicked side-stand switch a few times - cranked but no fire, flicked kill-switch just for fun - cranked but no fire, disconnected clutch-switch; then it didn't crank, reconnected clutch-switch - bike started and got me home, Woo Hoo!!!
- Suss of clutch switch - bought and installed a new one.
- 2 months ago: Left home to visit Oldies in Armidale (run up the Oxley Highway - Woo Hoo!). 10k's from home, a big miss. Bugger. Kept riding because it was important! Halfway through Wauchope, 3 big misses then shut-down. Rolled to exactly (no bull!!!) the Mud 'N Tar Bike Shop. Fantastic timing!!! Bike cranked, but no fire. Rod (the generous and kind owner) checked the old girl out and removed the clutch-switch altogether. Bike started immediately. Took off. All lookin good.
- 10 K's and 2 big misses. Turned around and went home, as being stranded up the Oxley is not good. No problem on the ride home.

I have left her sitting in the naughty corner while I have had a knee replacement (9 weeks and lookin good). Do any of you good people have a theory?

Ripper, woke up again.

Mustang

ignition pick up sensor located on the rhs crankshaft  :nod

Geoff W

I agree with Mustang. Intermittent sudden loss of all power, is usually the crank sensor.
It\'s ok , this will only take 5 minutes.
96 Pimento Red Steamer.

JayDub

Beernard

Thanks Mustang, Geoff and Jay. I will go straight to the crank sensor. Your advice is fantastic. Hope all is well for you blokes.
Ripper, woke up again.

threepot

95 Super111
96 Tiger

GavD

'98 Steamer (Black of course), '18 BMW R NineT Urban G/S

Beernard

Hi All. Recovery from Knee replacement is going well. Went for first ride yesterday (3 months 3 days). I had taken the collective advice and replaced the crank sensor with one out of the spare bike. Ran for 20m, all good. Today an hour and a half, all good. I intend to go further each day and see what happens. Not knowing the age/condition of the current part, I feel it wise to buy a new one even if the current replacement appears fine. Not a bad spare, perhaps.
Thanks again for the great help.
Ripper, woke up again.

Geoff W

They tend to last approx' 30k miles in my experience.
It\'s ok , this will only take 5 minutes.
96 Pimento Red Steamer.

Mustang

Quote from: Geoff W on September 30, 2015, 07:50:48 PM
They tend to last approx' 30k miles in my experience.
sounds about right , except both of my 98's are still running the originals at 70k plus miles and the other at55k  :^_^
on the other hand though ............mrs m's tigger at 55k is on it's third one  :icon_scratch:
which reminds me , I gotta order a spare  :nod

JayDub

Quote from: Beernard on September 28, 2015, 11:23:21 AMNot a bad spare, perhaps.
Wrap it up and shove it under the seat, - but don't forget the tools to change it, obviously  :thumbsup

Beernard

Good report, I feel. 300k's and not one miss on the replacement. Happy days! Thanks to all for the excellent advice.
Ripper, woke up again.

nickjtc

Good for you. Now your summer is coming it's time to go riding!
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

fishnbiker

Similar complaints to my sensor problem. Worse as the surrounding temperature goes up? Cooling it with a water hose helps?

Definitely the sensor.
Ken/Fishnbiker
& Felix, blue 95 Tiger, & Buzz, 08 blue Suzuki DR 650 SE, & Mini-D, 97 white Suzuki DR 350 SE

threepot

Their on eBay..£45 Inc GASKET!
95 Super111
96 Tiger