News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tiger 885 lean hesitation?

Started by xephe, October 18, 2015, 05:47:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xephe

Hi folks,

Long story short(ish)...

I took the tiger for a service and the mechanic mentioned something about removing an air restrictor of some kind to make it run better.  It didn't run better when I got it back.  Big hesitation on Quick WOT and hesitation from mid/low revs in higher gear until it gets its self together and powers on.  Very bad when the engine is cold.  Lean hesitation symptoms hence my mention of the air restrictor business.

It didn't do this before the service.  I asked them to take a look and put back whatever was removed and they said they sorted it. It's still wasn't sorted and after another discussion with the mechanic who to be fair offered to look at it in his spare time, I decided i would elect to get on with life and live with it and have probably left it too long to go back again.

Anyway...I have resolved to try and diagnose it, check for air leaks etc but I don't know what this restrictor looks like to determine if it has been replaced or not.  Does anyone have any pictures of such a thing so I can at least be certain everything is there that should be.  The bike was originally Japanese domestic market i think if that makes a difference.

Cheers.

GavD

Take both side panels off and check that one of the side airboxes has a blanking cover on the inlet (to stop air getting in completely) and the other is open (usually has a snorkel fitted).
http://www.worldoftriumph.com/triumph_motorcycle_parts_locator.php?block_01=&block_02=100058914-0-2&block_03=23773
They are situated either side of the battery and feed air into the main part of the airbox where the filter is housed.

i'm not 100%, but I think it was only the american bikes that had the evaporative loss system fitted. So yours should be the same as ours.
'98 Steamer (Black of course), '18 BMW R NineT Urban G/S

motoOzarks

Have had:  Girelli Bronco 50, Honda xr70, Yamaha YZ80, Yamaha MX175, Suzuki TS250, Honda XR350, Honda XR500, Honda XL600r, Suzuki DR200, Suzuki GS1100e, Honda Ruckas 49, BMW F650GS
Have:  Yamaha TW200, Suzuki DRZ400s, Triumph Tiger 955i

Mustang

Quote from: GavD on October 18, 2015, 10:12:41 AM

i'm not 100%, but I think it was only the american bikes that had the evaporative loss system fitted. So yours should be the same as ours.
only the bikes that went to California..............the other 49 states are like the UK bikes

nickjtc

You didn't mention if the mechanic was familiar with Tigers....
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

xephe

I'm not sure how familiar the mechanic was with tigers, maybe not at all.

I checked the air inlets either side and one side has a cap and the other side doesn't so I'm thinking that's normal.

The air filter was replaced during the service hence the air box action so I'm wondering if that on its own could cause this type of issue if the previous filter was in a total state?

BruKen

The clue was Japanese market. I suspect the bike was restricted to meet their HP criteria. The restriction may well not have been on the airbox side but on the rubber intake hoses. (restricted bore, usually a penny washer with a certain guage hole in it if done locally here in the UK but the Japanese were far more sophisticated in their approach.) However, there could well have been retricions within the CDI / TCI and jet sizing too. If it was a restricted Japanese bike, it can be a hell of a job to unrestrict them. A few have croosed my path in the grey imports, none were ever cracked. You may end up having to replace units, but first determine what the restriction methodology was.

xephe

Ok, thanks for the information.  I thinking that something along those lines would certainly make sense i.e  if it was tuned/jetted for restricted operation and there was a change to an aspect of that restriction it would cause an issue of this kind.  As far as I know no changes were made to the actual tuning.

I'll investigate further and my immediate objective is to get it running the way it was previously, smooth and predictable.  I'm quite happy with the power at the moment.

Would temporarily restricting the airflow and noting the effect be somewhere to start?

BruKen

The honest answer is I dont know. It may be worthwhile contacting a Japanese Triumph dealer to get more information. It's not like many Triumph grey imports made it back into the UK for there to be local knowlege. Generally we are dealing with Japanese  bikes built for their domestic market that make it here on the grey import 2nd hand. In which case they are restricted at factory level with a common theme such as discussed here: http://www.rrzone.com/forums/showthread.php/6075-removing-the-180kmph-restrictor-on-jap-imports. Whether the restriction was was inbuilt here in the UK before export to Japan or retro fitted in Japan would need to be determined.

Sin_Tiger

The factory doesn't have much in the way of detailed records for that period, rumour has it some records were lost in the factory fire in 2002 if they ever existed. But they can provide some basic build details if you ask.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

motoOzarks

Go back and have them undo whatever was done.

Or up your jets a step and see what happens.

Have had:  Girelli Bronco 50, Honda xr70, Yamaha YZ80, Yamaha MX175, Suzuki TS250, Honda XR350, Honda XR500, Honda XL600r, Suzuki DR200, Suzuki GS1100e, Honda Ruckas 49, BMW F650GS
Have:  Yamaha TW200, Suzuki DRZ400s, Triumph Tiger 955i

threepot

Quote from: motoOzarks on October 20, 2015, 11:45:54 AM
Go back and have them undo whatever was done.

Or up your jets a step and see what happens.

Agree with asking what was changed. You could take carbs off,and check inlet rubbers. Make sure the bores are not restricted? And check pilot jet..#40,and main#105? Start from this??

Interestingly,Triumph are selling Mikunis cheap..Swiss market spec! Anyone know what the difference is?
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: threepot on October 20, 2015, 01:29:36 PM
Interestingly,Triumph are selling Mikunis cheap..Swiss market spec! Anyone know what the difference is?

Where  :icon_study: maybe they are made of chocolate instead of cheese  :ImaPoser
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

threepot

95 Super111
96 Tiger

Sin_Tiger