News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Gear lever not popping back to centre. Big job to sort?

Started by Danwarb, November 11, 2015, 06:07:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danwarb

Hi guys,

My gear lever has begun to stick when ever I gear down to 1st or when ever gearing downwards (as in levering down) the gear shifter often sticks before popping back up to centre. I've been told it's the 'return spring' not functioning well. I can live with it because I simply need to manually toe up' the gear shifter to pop back to centre but I'd really rather not settle for an unloved tiger !

Is this is a big job to sort?

Any experience of this guys?

Cheers,

Dan

:notworthy
Black 1995 Tiger 885
Every day is a school day.

Danwarb

Black 1995 Tiger 885

JayDub

All I can hear is a gentle breeze Dan... (with tumble- weeds rolling by)

Have you looked it up in the manual/searched this site?
If it is the return spring then I imagine its an engine strip job.

But I may be wrong :Topes

nickjtc

The only time I have seen a similar situation was on a friends Honda XR250. In her case the shift lever would not move at all. Turned out that someone had dropped a pebble in through the oil filler orifice! That's not likely to be the case here, I suspect!
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Nick Calne

I've got nothing to offer on what goes on inside the bike, but I'd start with whipping the external gear change mechanism off and making sure that it was all moving freely. But I guess you've done that already.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Beernard

No insight at all. But surgery must surely be the next step. Hope it is an easy fix.
Ripper, woke up again.

trophydave

I dont know about the Tiger but on the MZ two smokes that I used to run as winter bikes it was a common problem and meant a complete strip down.

davetheworv

Have you tried spraying some wd40 or penetrating oil around the end of the shaft and/or the joints of the linkage, maybe they are just dried out. Sorry I dont have a tiger, mine is a sprint 900 but know this helped on mine.

Danwarb

Quote from: davetheworv on November 14, 2015, 11:34:53 AM
Have you tried spraying some wd40 or penetrating oil around the end of the shaft and/or the joints of the linkage, maybe they are just dried out. Sorry I dont have a tiger, mine is a sprint 900 but know this helped on mine.

Hi Dave,

Good point ! I'll start with the good ol' spray it with WD40 it trick first and see . . .
Black 1995 Tiger 885

BruKen

If you have dropped the tiger onto the gear selector lever, or at anytime tried bending the lever then it may not be springs but part no 10 in the diagram below. If these J teeth are worn you may also be having issues.

Sin_Tiger

The only thing I can suggest is disconnecting all the external stuff, you'll need to unscrew the link rod as the ball joints do NOT pop off the balls and remember one end is a LH thread. Eliminate everything external first, you can get new lever bushes for just a few £'s (they are just a push fit) if you find excessive wear there.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint