News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Rust in the radiator

Started by RELIS, December 19, 2015, 11:26:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruKen

Quote from: nickjtc on December 23, 2015, 04:29:22 PM
:iagree .......... I suspect that that any 'name brand' antifreeze of the right mix ratio will do just fine.

These days antifreeze has become almost as complex as oil. I wouldn't suspect that at all. However any ethylene glycol mix for pre mid 90 engines should work. See the post above regarding metallurgy. These days the antifreeze is designed around that in order not to add to the corrosion and act as a galvanising catalyst. Slightly off topic but you wouldn't believe the hoops I have to jump through to get the right type of anti-freeze for my boat inboard diesels. Annode this type, annode that type, antifreeze this type, get it wrong and you'll have a nice pile of white powder and a puddle of oil in the bilge.

threepot

Am I to believe that OAT(Organic Acid ) types are to be avoided? Ive read that they contain additives that destroy gaskets etc?
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Bixxer Bob

Since we got a condensing tumble drier I find I have more distilled water than I have uses. (Your significant other is probably pouring yours down the sink, as wasmine till I found out).  It keeps well in the dark for a couple of months without turning green as long as you put it into clean containers.  It gets used in the domestic iron, windscreen washer mix etc but I handn't thought of cooling systems up till now but there you go......
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

BruKen

Quote from: threepot on December 23, 2015, 08:10:19 PM
Am I to believe that OAT(Organic Acid ) types are to be avoided? Ive read that they contain additives that destroy gaskets etc?

You've probably heard of Dex-Cool then.

Read all about it - http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2006/08/gm_dexcool.html

nickjtc

Quote from: BruKen on December 23, 2015, 08:35:03 PM
You've probably heard of Dex-Cool then.

At risk of displaying lack of awareness... if the coolant is changed at the recommended intervals for the drivers location and driving habits, surely that mess would be avoidable??

Like you mentioned earlier, if coolant is treated like oil, as a disposable consumable (??) this kind of situation should not occur. Or am I missing something?
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

threepot

95 Super111
96 Tiger

BruKen

Quote from: nickjtc on December 23, 2015, 09:12:09 PM
At risk of displaying lack of awareness... if the coolant is changed at the recommended intervals for the drivers location and driving habits, surely that mess would be avoidable??

Correct. What people do though is top up. That's the thin edge of the wedge

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: BruKen on December 23, 2015, 04:56:02 PM
you wouldn't believe the hoops I have to jump through to get the right type of anti-freeze for my boat inboard diesels. Annode this type, annode that type, antifreeze this type, get it wrong and you'll have a nice pile of white powder and a puddle of oil in the bilge.

I would, every maker has their own for the smaller, higher output units. Which colour would you like Sir? I don't trust these colour changing self indicating types, hard to see when it's brown with rust  :icon_rolleyes: , I only trust proper chemical analysis which I do regularly (on large marine diesel engines) and that has proven to me on many occasions that they are not operating when they should, i.e. when the residual chemical packs have been depleted. I've heard of the Evans stuff but never tried it since it was not available where and when I needed it but I might give it a second look now.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

nickjtc

Quote from: BruKen on December 23, 2015, 10:08:49 PM
Correct. What people do though is top up. That's the thin edge of the wedge

Erm, if a person is having to top up, shouldn't they be exploring the reason why?? :qgaraduate Easy for me to say because in all of my experience with liquid cooled motor vehicles I've never had to do it.

BruKen

Quote from: nickjtc on December 24, 2015, 12:50:49 AM

Erm, if a person is having to top up, shouldn't they be exploring the reason why?? :qgaraduate Easy for me to say because in all of my experience with liquid cooled motor vehicles I've never had to do it.

Because they see the resevoir looks like it's on Min, so they top to max. Unless they have a leak the resevoir will naturally fluctuate and reach a balance. Sometimes that is at the min and sometimes even lower. Put more in and it just vents out. So begins the cycle.

BruKen

trophydave

I thought that all Triumphs came with brown muddy looking stuff as coolant,all three of mine have done.

nickjtc

Quote from: trophydave on December 24, 2015, 09:16:00 PM
I thought that all Triumphs came with brown muddy looking stuff as coolant,all three of mine have done.

Perhaps it was an optional extra only available to a lucky few... :ImaPoser