News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

What I did over Xmas

Started by Bixxer Bob, January 10, 2016, 12:20:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bixxer Bob

As some of you will know, I have twin grand daughters, both of whom have cerebral palsy.  One has learning issues but is more or less mobile and one has physical issues in that she can't walk and has only limited use of one  hand.  they are 4 yrs old.

Just before Xmas I bought a lightweight electric wheelchair at the auctions for £40, in good condition and would have been £1200 if new.  A new set of batteries was another £30.  I also researched car safety seats, looking for one suitable fro a 4 yr old that still had a harness and plenty of head support.  I found a Britax one in Mothercare in their sale that cost another £70.  I then set about stripping off the old wheelchair seat and fabricating a mount for the car seat.  While doing that I found a 24v actuator off a lift door on Ebay so decided to make it recline as well.  The seat is attached to the frame by one shortened ratchet strap so can be used in the car too as I haven't altered it in any way.

The photos show the finished chair which can be dismantled for transport and a video of the first time she used it.  I knew with practice she'd now be mobile but I wasn't prepared fro what happened next. She put on full right lock, started spinning round in the middle of the roomand said, "Look mum, I'm dancing".  All the time she was stuck in her static chair I never knew she wanted to dance.  It was too much for me and I wept like a baby.  Anyway, here it is:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Bixxer Bob

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

motoOzarks

One of my Mom's sisters had 3 kiddos.  Two have major hearing problems and are identical twin girls.  The third was a boy born with spinabifida.

My Uncle worked at the Ford Motor Co. in Kansas City for ever and is now retired.  He is quite the handy fellow making and working on all kinds of stuff.

He made a tricycle for David to pedal with his arms so he could ride with the other neighborhood kids.

He owns several antique tractors and old pickups and usually has some other motorized stuff around.  He added hand controls to most of his keepers so Dave could use them.  Lawn mower, D2 Cat dozer, skid steer,  JD model R, etc.

Work worth doing.

:thumbsup
Have had:  Girelli Bronco 50, Honda xr70, Yamaha YZ80, Yamaha MX175, Suzuki TS250, Honda XR350, Honda XR500, Honda XL600r, Suzuki DR200, Suzuki GS1100e, Honda Ruckas 49, BMW F650GS
Have:  Yamaha TW200, Suzuki DRZ400s, Triumph Tiger 955i

nickjtc

"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

iansoady

Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Sin_Tiger

"Hurry Up Grandad" brilliant  :thumbsup ye're going to hear that again  :ImaPoser

There was a movie about a disabled Irish lad called "Inside I'm Dancing" , excellent, it will have you in tears of laughter and will make you think again about what we see when we meet disabled people  :notworthy
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Bixxer Bob

Thanks guys.   Now, how to balance the electronics for a 4wd version for the garden........   :icon_study:

Bixxer Bob

Oh, and one of the first things she did was run over her sister's foot.  A bit more supervision I think.  One of the first things she learned to do was turn the speed controller up to max.....

PeteH

Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on January 10, 2016, 08:14:44 PM
One of the first things she learned to do was turn the speed controller up to max.....

In the genes  :wheel
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

KuzzinKenny

Hey BB !! I know its your grand daughter and you'd do anythin for her, but...........

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :notworthy :icon_salut:

above and beyond the call of duty  :icon_salut:

well done that man  :icon_biggrin:

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

BONANZA

You sir are a star, and a genius. We don,t know how lucky we are.
05 Tiger
95 Speed Triple

Mustang

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on January 10, 2016, 12:20:33 AM........................................................
She put on full right lock, started spinning round in the middle of the room and said, "Look mum, I'm dancing".  All the time she was stuck in her static chair I never knew she wanted to dance.  It was too much for me and I wept like a baby.  Anyway, here it is:
her smile in the video says it all.....................

JoeDirt

Bixxer Bob

Thanks again guys, I'm wellin' up...

It must be age, or hormones (no, wait, that's the missus....)