News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Revs don't drop!

Started by threepot, January 17, 2016, 01:05:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

threepot

Out for a run today,and that issue with the 'revs' not dropping seems a little worse? Screwing the idle adjuster full out doesn't seem to have any effect. Bike will still idle. Bike still 'pulls' a little after shutting throttle off? Looks like carbs off to investigate? :^_^
95 Super111
96 Tiger

JayDub

I'm still thinking air leak TP, pull the inlet rubbers and check them for cracks... but check the carb balance before you remove anything as it could indicate which carb to focus on? if one carb shows a difference then spray the inlet rubber with WD etc, and see if it changes the reading.

threepot

I bought a set of carbs off eBay a while back. Came with a re-build kit. Not sure what they were off? I might just bang them on,and see what happens? :icon_wink:
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Sin_Tiger

Head to carb rubbers are my suspects, they have a hard life holding everything together and seen to be made of licorice.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

JayDub

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on January 31, 2016, 01:22:00 AM
Head to carb rubbers are my suspects, they have a hard life holding everything together and seen to be made of licorice.
liquorice would probably do a better job  :ImaPoser

threepot

Decided today to do some long overdue maintenance,and try to investigate this over-rev issue. Bike has run so well(apart from a bad coil moment) since I've had it,now 3 1/2 yrs,that I felt it time to check filter,and valves. Carbs came off without too much drama! Not checked inside them yet,but look clean? Then I took air filter apart. I'd forgotten I'd fitted a k&n,and what a brilliant job its done!! Filter side was really dirty,and looking thru it,it looks quite blocked? But the engine side of the housing is totally clean! Absolutely no debris,dust etc! Could a blocked filter cause this problem?
95 Super111
96 Tiger

threepot

Another thing that puzzled, me is a hard,kind of 'rubberised' film on the inlet ports?? :icon_scratch: It does come away if you scratch it with a fingernail,but it does seem stuck well.
95 Super111
96 Tiger

JayDub

A blocked filter would cause air starvation, your problem sounds more the opposite.
the residue in the inlets could be from that carb being set too rich at some point - give them a clean.
what condition are the inlet rubbers in - any cracks or splits
If you look inside the rubbers on the air filter side, there is a band spring to keep the rubbers tight around the hole - going by the pics one of yours looks missing, I doubt it would cause your problem, but you never know with the steamer air intake set-up :icon_rolleyes:

threepot

Rubber manifolds cleaned up like 'new' JD.  I'm a bit reluctant to clean the ports just incase anything falls into engine? Maybe run thru some Seafoam or the like will clear it? Plugs do look a bit 'sooty' Maybe it has been running a little 'rich'?
95 Super111
96 Tiger

JayDub

New plugs and maybe 1/8 of a turn in TP.  the deposits won't harm the motor, It would blow through the exhaust but you could stuff the hoover in there while you scrape if you're worried... it wouldn't matter if you just left it, its not critical to performance... unless you're entering the BSB this year :icon_biggrin:
Diaphragms next! torch and magnifying glass at the ready  :thumbsup

BruKen

Check pilot jet screws are 2 turns out
Check manifold rubbers
Check float height and needle and seat
check diagphram and slide for any tears and free movement.
Check main needle hasn't worn (mikuni carbs the needle tends to vibrate and wear)

Then check that the butterflies are closing properly and opening in concert. Sometimes getting the bike to idle correctly when the pilot jets are not set correctly means the butterflies are slightly open to compensate. This is wrong.

Not sure where in Wales you are but if you need to use a carb balancer give us a chout.

BruKen

Are you receiving my PM responses because they are not showing up in my sent mail box? If not, bring it back to the board and have a look at this thread and make your own mind up. Good luck

http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/index.php?topic=9930.0

Geoff W

I read in a classic bike magazine about restoring rubber parts by boiling them up in dilute solution of Oil of Wintergreen for a couple of hours. I cannot remember the exact dilution but I do not think that it was too important. They claimed that it worked a treat and restored the rubber flexibility and gloss.
However they did suggest wearing a gas mask or doing it outdoors far away from people and animals as the stink was unbelievable.
It\'s ok , this will only take 5 minutes.
96 Pimento Red Steamer.

motoOzarks

FYI

sent messages don't show up unless they are opened by the recipient
Have had:  Girelli Bronco 50, Honda xr70, Yamaha YZ80, Yamaha MX175, Suzuki TS250, Honda XR350, Honda XR500, Honda XL600r, Suzuki DR200, Suzuki GS1100e, Honda Ruckas 49, BMW F650GS
Have:  Yamaha TW200, Suzuki DRZ400s, Triumph Tiger 955i

threepot

Not done much with carbs yet. Been working on shims. All ex seem OK,and a few inlets are just below spec,but they have nice 'fat' shims in,so valves should be in good shape. Also noticed that bike has 'green' cams! STD ones were blue? So either they've been changed,or the engine has? :^_^
95 Super111
96 Tiger