News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

> 05 Year Model Question

Started by GlenWatt, May 21, 2005, 09:39:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GlenWatt

I had my 04 "wire wheel" Tigger in for some work yesterday.

The bastard dealer let me loose on an 05 model while the bike was in the workshop.

I know I stand to be slatted by others but. Bloody hell baldrick what a difference going round bends.

I have now spent a fair few quid trying to tweak the suspension on mine, and was just about to invest in a new rear shock.

However if the 05 handles like this out the crate I am starting to question the value of paying out for the works.

Unless someone can suggest ways to improve things. (Other than losing about 4 stone)  :D  

While I still have a good trade in value on the Tigger I may just bite the bullet and invest in the newer model, especially as my warranty runs out in a few months and with my office moving further away from home I may well be lloking to buy a new one in 6 months anyhow.

FYI, Currently I have fitted Hagon front springs with new oil, lowered the front and the rear, the rear still seems to be hopping around all over the place and never feels planted.

One bummer is they stopped making Orange....... :(
Glen

Email - mailto:glen@watt.me.uk\">glen@watt.me.uk  

\"The Aussies call us Boring... we prefer World Champions\"

PaulBerg

You can't replicate the '05 / '06 handling on earlier models exactly because the differences are:

a) narrower steering head angle

b) shorter swing arm

c) different rake, trail & wheelbase

d) stiffer springs/damping

e) cast wheels

f) Anakee tyres

You could replicate d) and put Anakee tyres on with inner tubes, but a,b & c would cost a lot to change.

Paul

Brock

Personally I'd hang on to the '04 as you've already spent some dosh on it, and do what I'm doing...waiting for a NEW Tiger in the next couple of years. If your Tiger has worn tyres, a new set will make a big difference to the handling. The rear shouldn't hop around like you're suggesting, so I'd try and sort that first. My own '04 (6,500 miles) is as steady as a rock on Tourances whatever I do with her and I wouldn't chop her in for anything at the moment.

'Course...it's up to you innit?
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein

ChrisN

Glen,

Glad to read you enjoyed the 05 and heres my 2penn'th:

It''l be another year at least before we see a new Tiger and thats IF the rumours are to be beleived - a big IF !

A smaller IF is the expereince you have already tasted on the 05 suits you then jump in and get the latest 06 which will have all the same handling charateristics as the 05 you tested. And if you like the Orange, you'll love the new GPB, ie gay powder blue!! (gay as in "care-free" in this context :oops: ) Colour ofcourse is a personal thing.

It will also be a natural stepping stone to your eventual purchase of any all new Tiger in the distant future - which holds no guarantees to please you in any event.

All of which brings us nicely back to another big IF - if can you afford it, buy it NOW !
Chris

If I were you Glen, I'd put the bike you've got back to standard. It sounds like you've fiddled with it too much and have lost your way.

I have an '02 and don't have a problem. You just twist the grip and hang on. It's a great ride.

I have riden the '05 and thought it all felt tighter, but put that down to it being brand new and mine isn't.  Then again it's your money and if you feel you'll be happier with the new one.......

Speed3guy

I test rode an '04 last year.  I was almost hooked, but didn't buy.  

After an on/off road ride on the '05 I was asking my dealer if putting a deposit down would help him get an orange one in.  It did.  I expected the '05 to handle better on the road, but it actually seems more planted in the dirt as well.  I actually jumped the demo bike.  I'm usually not that comfortable with a bike within the first few minutes.  I'd say the '05 is a much better sorted bike than the '04.  Flame away... 8)

GlenWatt

By tweaking, I had the dealer fit a set of Hagon front springs at the last service.

Did some checking today with a view to going back to as near standard as I can, as per people suggestions above.

I may now have found an issue with the dealer's fitting of the front springs.

On the box Hagon quote 10 grade oil with a 130 mm air gap.

Found one with an oil level set at 145 mm and other at 155 mm. I have now balanced them up and set them to Hagons 130 mm, so will try this out tomorrow's ride to work.  

May go some way to explain why I felt the bike was still diving under braking even with the new springs fitted.

I have also set the rear back to standard as per the book, as a back to basics start.

Thanks for your replies.
Glen

Email - mailto:glen@watt.me.uk\">glen@watt.me.uk  

\"The Aussies call us Boring... we prefer World Champions\"