News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

brakes 02 tiger

Started by holland1, May 23, 2005, 12:01:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

holland1

Hi there,

Just found out about this site. Interested in the mileage you guys do on the front brakes.

My originals lasted about 8000km ( 5500 miles)  the replacements only 5000km ( 3000miles) Now i'm puzzling what brand to use

To be honest I'm a bit amazed at this. Any suggestions / do people recognise this?

thanx

rob
gas is alles

Foxy

I thought it was just me that was doing badly with brake pads! I get about 5000 miles out of each set of pads, but whatever you get will depend on your riding style and what sort of riding you do. Most of my miles are around London, which is a place made to eat brake pads & chains. What sort of riding do you do?

Kill Switch

Right.  I have only around 5000 miles, if that, on my rear brakes and now I need a new rear rotor as well.  I thought I would get at least 10K out of the brakes.  Any idea about where to get a new rear rotor in the States would be appreciated.  EBC has one for $132 and change.  I am calling my dealer now.  The rear rotor only lasted 20K.

Thanks.

Foxy

How is the disc damaged? Really, really shouldn't do that in so few miles?

I got 18000 miles out of then fronts. I read the road and use engine braking when on the open road. I suggest you lot stop riding round like you're racing evrywhere.

Kill Switch

Last 10K were constant stop and go, to and from work.  Stop light every 100 yards or less it seems.

Kill Switch

Quote from: "Foxy"How is the disc damaged? Really, really shouldn't do that in so few miles?

Disc is grooved pretty good, worn down considerably.  20,000 hard miles commuting.

Kill Switch

Quote from: "Blacktiger"I got 18000 miles out of then fronts. I read the road and use engine braking when on the open road. I suggest you lot stop riding round like you're racing evrywhere.

Ah, excuse me?

holland1

OK, I don't have to worry I see..... 8)

I'm using the tiger in the west of the netherlands , an urban area wich you can compare with the wider london area, besides that it's just excursions to ardennes and eiffel and occasionally a track day....... :D

Mounted BT020 and use the bike only for fun..........
gas is alles

Brock

3-5,000 miles to a set of pads is incredible. Even riding the bike in an urban environment you should be doing better than this. The Tiger is the last bike you want to be riding if you ride on the brakes all the time, with the soft suspension.

When my last Tiger went at over 12,000 miles, the pads still had another 6,000 miles in 'em. I ride all year, mixture of commuting and other riding.
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein

holland1

Amazing indeed! that's why I posted the question.... :roll:  :wink:   Especially since i'm not really extreme on the brakes, more like 2 fingers.....

About the "soft"  suspension.....  After hitting the street to much with my steps AND my brake pedal I decided to mount aftermarket springs from WP.   The alternative was loosing 30 ponds of weight but I didn;t want to scare my mother.... :D
gas is alles

Foxy

I suppose my pad wear would be heavy if you lived out in some back water, but I commute through London, and this really does kill pads, as experienced on other bikes I've owned, and on other bikes used in a similar environment. I will also not run them to the limit of the wear grooves, work habits die hard, just like with how much tread I leave on a tyre when I change.

Lummox

My tiger 96 was eating pads generally more one side of the disk than the other because of seized or sticking calipers. This damages the disk also.

You must check the calipers monthly especially in winter as the salt seizes them real quick.

Once my calipers were freed the pads lasted much longer as they were working together.

Lummox

holland1

good advice! thanx
gas is alles