News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Next project, Steamer racks.

Started by Sparky, February 27, 2016, 07:31:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sparky

Not much selection for luggage racks I did find some Hepco Becker racks but they are expensive, big and look a bit like an afterthought so I thought I would try and build my own.  I am leaning toward soft luggage so these are built more as a spacer to keep the bags away from the exhaust, be able to fasten the bags securely and maybe add a tool tube or Rotopax in the future.  Instead of making the hoops I bought a set of unfinished ones from moto-racks.com and started fabricating the mounts.  I have no welding skills so I'm relying on a friend to stick the parts together, once everything is welded together I will get these powder coated. I still have to make a bracket to go across the back under the license plate, pics of progress so far.

1998 Steamer. Sold, replaced with a 2016 Africa Twin.
1982 Honda FT 500 Ascot,  1983 Honda VT 500 Ascot

ssevy

Nice idea, but just get a set of Mosko Moto Reckless 80 and your heat shields are all you need. Love mine, they fit our Steamers like they were custom made just for us.
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

Sin_Tiger

Nice. If I can offer a bit of advice from my own experience of going down this road, the flat bars on the top will vibrate and might even crack the welds to the tube, I'd replace them with light gauge tube.

:iagree with Ssevy, the Mosko Moto stuff is great.

Good luck with the project, always good to see a different take on a need.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Sparky

The reckless 80 is on my short list, Mosko were at the local bike show so I got to see their stuff in person. The new reckless 80 will not be available until later this year unfortunately.  Wolfman also have some nice stuff.

I used flat bar as it fits between the side cover and muffler without having to cut the cover I will keep an eye on the flat bar welds over time.

Sin_Tiger

I've got the older version "Back Country" I think they're called, tough!

All the versions of racks I've seen use a piece of flat bar going forward or down from the bolt point with tube welded onto it at 90 deg going out to the frame but that's designed to take the weight of hard cases. Might be worth having a cross seat strap as a safety just until you feel happy with the security.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

nickjtc

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on February 27, 2016, 08:50:13 PM
......, the flat bars on the top will vibrate and might even crack the welds to the tube

Vibrate? A Steamer? You jest, surely  :icon_lol:
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

ssevy

Quote from: Sparky on February 27, 2016, 10:55:19 PM
The reckless 80 is on my short list, Mosko were at the local bike show so I got to see their stuff in person. The new reckless 80 will not be available until later this year unfortunately.  Wolfman also have some nice stuff.

If you can wait, I think the Reckless 80's are worth your time. I have several thousand wet and dry miles on mine, and they have been great.

I also like your handle; reminds me of an old joke about a dog with brass balls and no hind legs :icon_biggrin:
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

bemusedinsojo

I too needed racks for my Steamer. After looking around, and looking in my wallet, I decided I would have to make some also. I made them from 1/2 in conduit and some square tubing. I don't have a welder so I had to be creative (remember, no money). Just like you I am just using soft luggage so the racks don't need to be too strong. I like that your hoop is shiny. I want a shiny hoop.

BTW this is my first post. So, hello from the Salt Lake City, Utah metro area. I tried to post a photo but my world suddenly slowed down. When I get out of the molasses I will.

nickjtc

Quote from: bemusedinsojo on March 02, 2016, 02:30:56 AM
BTW this is my first post. So, hello from the Salt Lake City, Utah metro area. I tried to post a photo but my world suddenly slowed down. When I get out of the molasses I will.

Welcome!

Sparky

I got the final pieces welded and did a test assembly.  Last night I cleaned up all the welds with a flapper wheel in a grinder, I felt like a real hippy bike builder with sparks flying  :ImaPoser , they will get dropped off for powder coating this afternoon.

nickjtc

Sparky

Quote from: nickjtc on March 02, 2016, 04:44:36 PM
Very nicely done; good job  :thumbsup

Thanks.

I could play in the garage or watch the Canucks lose, garage won and the Canucks didn't.

JayDub

Good job, looks like they'll handle soft luggage OK, and much less obtrusive as some of them on the market.
- you should learn to weld, there would be no stopping you then.  :thumbsup

Bixxer Bob

I had to zoom in, it looked like the brace was bolted to the swing arm....  :bug_eye
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Sparky

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on March 02, 2016, 08:46:22 PM
I had to zoom in, it looked like the brace was bolted to the swing arm....  :bug_eye

It does look that way in the pic.  That would be an interesting first ride thinking the suspension shop did a crappy job rebuilding the shock as it feels a little stiff  :BangHead