News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Caswell

Started by Earthscape, March 04, 2016, 03:03:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rf9rider

Ssevy, How did you prepare the inside of your tank?

I`ve looked on Caswell website, but no mention of plastic tanks?

Need to do mine when it`s been resprayed.

ssevy

I honestly don't remember😳
The folks at Caswell are great if you call them.
They will tell you just what you need to do.
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

rf9rider

No worries, i`ll contact them

Earthscape

Quote from: ssevy on March 08, 2016, 11:42:39 PM
Yes, I pulled these and plugged the holes with a stopper. I installed a Pingel petcock, and left the mounting plate installed so that it would be covered by the seal and no fuel could sneak under the edge. Just be careful not to let the threads get the Caswell on them.

ssevy...
I'm nearly ready to get moving on this, finished my steering head bearings (piece of cake with the new Motion Pro steering head tools).  How exactly did you plug the low fuel sensor hole?  My plan was to get a replacement bolt of the same thread size and screw it in place of the sensor, then remove it, and after drying reinstall the sensor.  I have not been able to source the correct bolt locally to do this.  If I just put a stopper in there, the nylon threads will be coated with the Caswell.  I don't know if that's good or if it will make the sensor threads no longer fit.  I certainly don't want to damage the nylon threads by forcing something in there.  What did you do?
2004 KTM 950 Adventure....1998 Triumph Tiger....1999 KTM 640 Adventure....1993 Kawasaki KLX650....2007 Kawasaki KLX350S....1996 Yamaha XT350

Sin_Tiger

Wipe some silicone sealant into the threads and them use a soft foam plug. That should clean out without doing any damage.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

ssevy

I can't remember exactly, but I think I used a rubber stopper or cork? Sin's idea sounds like a great one too.

ghulst

This is a very interesting thread. My tank has swollen and I would like to get it back to being easily mountable. How long does it need to sit without fuel for it to get back to its original size? And how do you remove all the fuel from it from coating?

Oh, and if anyone is going through the lining process, care to take pics of what you do?
2008 Triumph Street Triple R | Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993, Tiger 800XC 2011

ssevy

Quote from: ghulst on May 19, 2016, 07:29:24 AM
How long does it need to sit without fuel for it to get back to its original size?
Mine sat about a month I think. You'll know it's ready when you put it back on the bike and everything lines up correctly again.

And how do you remove all the fuel from it from coating?
You drain it out the petcock, then remove all the hardware and let it air dry.

Oh, and if anyone is going through the lining process, care to take pics of what you do?
Sorry, no pictures of the Tiger tank.

Earthscape

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on May 18, 2016, 11:10:34 PM
Wipe some silicone sealant into the threads and them use a soft foam plug. That should clean out without doing any damage.

That's a good idea.  Perhaps some foam backer rod would do the trick...
2004 KTM 950 Adventure....1998 Triumph Tiger....1999 KTM 640 Adventure....1993 Kawasaki KLX650....2007 Kawasaki KLX350S....1996 Yamaha XT350

Sin_Tiger

It'd probably do the job.

This might sound daft but I keep my old foam ear plugs for plugging holes  :^_^
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint