News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

RIding style, Gear change points.

Started by PeterO, May 24, 2005, 02:05:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PeterO

Under "normal" conditions I change up a gear at around 5000rpm, and only really exceed this in 6th.  I don't think I've ever taken a bike even close to it's red line.  What does everyone else do ?

Peter

Kill Switch

Quote from: "PeterO"Under "normal" conditions I change up a gear at around 5000rpm, and only really exceed this in 6th.  I don't think I've ever taken a bike even close to it's red line.  What does everyone else do ?

Peter

I try to keep it between 3 - 5 rpm.  Never red line it.  Too scary.  :lol:

holland1

In normal conditions I change gear between 5 and 6000 rpm. Once i'm playing this goes up to approx 8000.
gas is alles

barjan

Depends on my mood. Normal touring it's 3.000 to 5.000 rpm. When the engine (and oil) is warm, it can go up to the red line after a trafic light. I try not to hit the rev. limiter, but I can tell you it works fine.

robbo

Quote from: "barjan"Depends on my mood. Normal touring it's 3.000 to 5.000 rpm. When the engine (and oil) is warm, it can go up to the red line after a trafic light. I try not to hit the rev. limiter, but I can tell you it works fine.

ditto,

if Im touring or if the wife is on the back its 3000 to 5000. If Im with the guys on a Sunday run its red line time and yes I agree the rev limiter works well but by F@~# its scary if it comes on half way past overtaking someone.
best Regards

Robbo

drunkwombat955

Tigger has just been to his 4th ride day. He's quite happy changing right up the top of his rev range. Admittedly I did bounce it off the limiter several times unintentionally. Unlike other bikes, the power curve doesn't taper off as you approach the limiter, so you find yerself slamming into it as you feed it gears.
There\'s a fine line between clever and stupid- SPINAL TAP.

Foxy

Anywhere from 4000 to 6000 in normal riding, if making progress then 8000 plus. Rarely hit the limiter though.

On my '02 I use anything from 2K to 6K normally. Depends how fast I feel like going at the time.

I'm worried though. My rev needle has been right through the red line and hasn't found a limiter. Am I missing something? When does/should it kick in?

robbo

I think its about 9500 to 10000 but to be honest I never looked thats how I hit it in the first place.
best Regards

Robbo

PeterO

I think you lot are all cruel to your Tigers if you are reving them up to the Red line  :wink:  Mine's quite exciting enough at 6000 rpm  :lol:

Peter

Brock

The red line's there to STOP us being cruel to our Tigers.

At 6,000 rpm she's just clearing her throat.
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein

Foxy

Got to agree, at 6000 my Tiger's just coming alive. Not bad before that, but she's worth keeping on the boil at 6-8000rpm

Quote from: "Foxy"Got to agree, at 6000 my Tiger's just coming alive. Not bad before that, but she's worth keeping on the boil at 6-8000rpm

All this revs bit is a bit dependant on which model you've got. The 955i is more torquey down low so can be ridden fast enough for most without going above 6K. The early 885cc models do need more revs to make it go.

I know a bloke who changed from a 900i to a 955i. When we went on a long run through France, he wondered why he was using more fuel than the rest of us with 955i Tigers. The answer was that he was riding it a gear lower because he didn't realise how torquey the new one was.

Triple Teton

After riding my 02 Centenial Daytona, My stock 01 Tiger is really comfy, but seems really tame in comparison. It is hard to believe that they are the same engine. Worse, I lost in a roll on drag with my business partners KTM Adventure. I did feel that revlimiter kick in once. :twisted: This is a topic that is well covered in some other posts, what is the best way to unleash the beast that lurks with in?
YABABY

abell

>what is the best way to unleash the beast that lurks with in?

PIN IT!
2005 Tiger

2001 Daytona