News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Chain rubbing strip replacement

Started by ssevy, April 05, 2016, 04:20:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssevy

I just installed my new chain and sprockets as well as a new rubbing block. Before I put it all back together the rest of the way, I decided to replace the rubbing strip as well, because the current one is pretty worn and I'm already in there. I have already done this job on my Legend in the past, and just wanted to run my technique by you guys to be sure that the Tiger is similar enough for it to work here as well. It has been a few years since I did the Legend, so I am not positive that the clearances are the same? In any case, here is what I did on that:
1- Use a scalpel to cut the rubber strip around the bolt, then pull the rubber strip out with some vise grips.
2- Using vise grips, I unscrewed the allen head bolt and replaced it with a shorter stainless hex head which could be accessed with an open end wrench.

Some have loosened the two subframe bolts and then wedged open the gap enough to get a 1/4 drive allen head in there to remove the bolt. Since I'm chucking the old strip anyways, this method is much faster and easier.

Any reason it shouldn't work on the Tiger?
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

Sin_Tiger

It's a while since I've done one, benefits of a Scottolier is they seem to last longer.

I'm not quite sure what you mean about the rubber strip around the bolt :icon_scratch: if you've got the sprocket cover off it should be quite easy to slip the old one out and a new one in, all be it with a bit of twisting.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

nickjtc

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on April 05, 2016, 07:50:27 PM
It's a while since I've done one, benefits of a Scottolier is they seem to last longer.

+1
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

ssevy

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on April 05, 2016, 07:50:27 PM

I'm not quite sure what you mean about the rubber strip around the bolt :icon_scratch: if you've got the sprocket cover off it should be quite easy to slip the old one out and a new one in, all be it with a bit of twisting.

The one that screws into the side of the swingarm. Hard to get to it on the Legend.

JayDub

Sin_Tiger

JD beat me to it  :wheel

I get what you mean now. The original torx is awkward to get to, I did the same as you and replaced it with a button head allen screw. I managed to get the original out in situ using a 1/4" - 6mm bit with a spanner on it.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

ssevy

Thanks. I searched for rubbing strip. Not sure how I missed it.

ssevy

Just looked again and don't see it in the stickies. Maybe someone could add it?

Sin_Tiger

fishnbiker

I usually take the whole rear end completely apart every second year for inspection, cleaning & regreasing. The chain strip gets changed out easily then. On alternate years, the front end gets a rebuild. Includes wheels too. Now past 130,000+ km with over 50% gravel.

Also, a new design for lower rubbing strip. After a few years with the rear axle turned over, the chain started rubbing through the swing arm. This nylon block has been in place 4 years now with only about .5 mm (1/2mm) of wear. No evidence of damage to chain or other parts.

Ken/Fishnbiker
& Felix, blue 95 Tiger, & Buzz, 08 blue Suzuki DR 650 SE, & Mini-D, 97 white Suzuki DR 350 SE

JayDub

Ken.... Is that an original with a nylon block replacing the rubber one?

fishnbiker

The original is still in place with a small notch removed to accommodate the nylon piece. I did the install after finding a stretched section on my chain had chewed through the bearing mount just above it. That photo represents about 20,000 km of gravel roads wear ~ 0.5mm grooves. No apparent damage/wear to the chain. It is JB Weld (epoxy) glued with 2 SS alignment screws countersunk in the rollers location. Will stand up to several more years of abuse. All hand fabricated with carpentry tools.

Some photos of my Felix over the past 19 years. See how many other mods you can find ...

https://fishnbiker.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Felix-The-Tiger/i-LBJDwNh
Ken/Fishnbiker
& Felix, blue 95 Tiger, & Buzz, 08 blue Suzuki DR 650 SE, & Mini-D, 97 white Suzuki DR 350 SE

nickjtc

Where did you get the nylon block stuff?

Mustang

Nylon cutting  boards at Walmart
Or you can also order sheets of it from McMastercarr.com

nickjtc

Quote from: Mustang on April 30, 2016, 05:00:04 PM
Nylon cutting  boards at Walmart

Much as I hate shopping there, that seems an easy way to get the stuff. Thanks.