News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

What head light bulbs? Why only high beam?

Started by Danwarb, May 05, 2016, 03:08:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danwarb

Hi Guys,

It's great to know this place is always here.

When I turn on my head lights and their in the dipped position they are on but they are so, so dim.

Which bulbs do I need to replace and what code or number do they have so I know I'm buying the correct ones please?

Cheers,

Dan

:ear
Black 1995 Tiger 885
Every day is a school day.

Mustang

Danwarb

Black 1995 Tiger 885

Mustang

usa models have 1 h4 in each headlight . that's all
you may have parking light bulbs over therebut there is definately only one h4 per headlight

Danwarb

Quote from: Mustang on May 05, 2016, 03:36:05 PM
usa models have 1 h4 in each headlight . that's all
you may have parking light bulbs over therebut there is definately only one h4 per headlight

Hi Mustang,

Got it.

So how come my bulbs work well in full beam but are very dim in low beam?
Black 1995 Tiger 885

Timbox2

Quote from: Danwarb on May 05, 2016, 03:58:18 PM
Hi Mustang,

Got it.

So how come my bulbs work well in full beam but are very dim in low beam?

Are you sure you arent just seeing the sidelight bulbs, which we do have in the UK, and in fact the lowbeam has blown on both bulbs, or you have another issue, relay etc...
2016 Tiger Sport

Danwarb

Quote from: Timbox2 on May 05, 2016, 04:18:08 PM
Are you sure you arent just seeing the sidelight bulbs, which we do have in the UK, and in fact the lowbeam has blown on both bulbs, or you have another issue, relay etc...

So the bulbs have two filaments inside them that light up? One lights up for low beam and both light up for high beam?

Where are the side lights situated? Do these stay on al the time when the lights are on?

Black 1995 Tiger 885

davetheworv

if it is the same as the Sprint 900, the side light bulbs are right at the bottom of the lens and the fitting pushes into the reflector. The bulbs are twin filament and again, on a Sprint the side lights  are on with the head lights. They are held in by a spring clip on mine.How does I know??? Well I  skinned  my big fat fingers changing a bulb last weekend, easy enough job,just a bit fiddly for the sausages.

I have said before, I come here and look on your Tiger site a lot, you are so much more knowledgable that the Sprint guys, the forums I go to are mainly for the later Sprints, not the 900s so your info is very useful to me.......plus although I got a Sprint,I love Tigers too, and Speedies, sorry for the bad language in here.lol

Sin_Tiger

They don't last forever, the elements will deteriorate over the years.

If you want to be sure that it's not poor electrical connections, which also happens over time, check them on the battery terminals before you fit new ones and wonder why they are just as poor.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Danwarb

Hi guys,

Now I'm lost and I'd really appreciate your help as my Tigers going in for an MOT on Friday and I still only have a low beam.

I took out the old bulbs and can see both filaments intact in each.
I fitted new bulbs which are brighter on full beam.
Please see photos here:
1) The first is with the dash lights on only (we can see the side lights lit).
2) The second photo shows the lamps in low beam (no different to having only the dash lights on so again it's still only the side lights which are lit).
3) The lights on full beam (here it's much brighter but I'm guessing that if the low beam filaments fired up as well that it would be even brighter).

What do you guys suggest please?

Is there a separate fuse for the high and low beam filaments?

Cheers,

Dan
Black 1995 Tiger 885

Danwarb

Black 1995 Tiger 885

nickjtc

The only help I can offer is that there is no separate fuse for high and low beams. Someone else is bound to chime in about the brightness issue... I hope.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Mustang

Danwarb

Quote from: Mustang on May 11, 2016, 01:03:46 AM
relays  ............................. :augie

Ah ! Ok . . .

Is this something I can easily replace?
Black 1995 Tiger 885

BruKen

Yep. If you can change a fuse you can change a relay.  :* But if you're like me and stare at a fuse panel changing each one out until you strike Nirvana then probably not. Of course on the steamer bless her there not many fuses and not many relays so It wont take too long. Then again not all fuses are rated the same and nor are all relays. The boys in white coats do this to feck you over, but you can thwart them with a workshop manual, mostly, because the leccy diagrams dont show you were the bleeding relays are kept. Which means you have to ask Sin and get another lekshure. Best to just follow the wires back from the headlights and remain schtumm. My money is that they are on the bike somewhere. Goodluck   :thumbsup :friday