News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Mashed my Steamer AGAIN ! Is it worth it?

Started by Danwarb, May 09, 2016, 03:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danwarb

Hi Guys,

I was beginning to get my Steamer looking tidy and yesterday I went and stacked it AGAIN when I hit some unexpected gravel.

The left hand side was already scratched up before I got her yet now I've gone and done the same to the right hand side.

What is your experience of getting the fairing components fitted with new decals and be re-sprayed?

How much should something like this cost?

Is there a way I could do some preparation work my self to get the cost down?

Cheers,

Dan
Black 1995 Tiger 885
Every day is a school day.

nickjtc

"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Chris Canning

Been there done that,slightly different for me with a combo of multi bike ownership and I couldn't ride anyway cuz I'd bust that many ribs,but tracking parts down is just a waiting game and I took my Tiger off the road for 9 months before it was good to rock and roll again.

I don't look at my Tiger and think it's got zero value so I'm not spending money on it,the way parts prices are dropping even more logical to keeping these old bikes,but I'd be looking for old new stock before having anything painted etc.

Danwarb

Quote from: Chris Canning on May 09, 2016, 03:55:20 PM
Been there done that,slightly different for me with a combo of multi bike ownership and I couldn't ride anyway cuz I'd bust that many ribs,but tracking parts down is just a waiting game and I took my Tiger off the road for 9 months before it was good to rock and roll again.

I don't look at my Tiger and think it's got zero value so I'm not spending money on it,the way parts prices are dropping even more logical to keeping these old bikes,but I'd be looking for old new stock before having anything painted etc.

Hi Chris,

You mean you think I'm better off scouring Ebay etc for a new set of fairing parts and if anything then get those re-sprayed before switching them?
Black 1995 Tiger 885

threepot

Could do it in a different colour? This silver looks nice :nod
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Chris Canning

Quote from: Danwarb on May 09, 2016, 04:02:34 PM
Hi Chris,

You mean you think I'm better off scouring Ebay etc for a new set of fairing parts and if anything then get those re-sprayed before switching them?

I do everything comes to those that wait  :icon_biggrin:,if the bike is rideable as is I'd def do nothing,there are loads of places to try from ebay(various countries) World of Triumph,Triumphant in Wales,I'd eve try old Triumph dealers like Jack Lilley  for old stick they may well try to slap your arse price wise but you may get the complete opposite,don't ask don't get.

Timbox2

Im pretty sure I saw a few Steamer plastics on the shelf at Triumphant when I was there a few weeks back.
2016 Tiger Sport

Nick Calne

I'll look in te loft of plenty and see if there are any spare black plastics.

Best way to sort it is to buy a whole bike or two!
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Geoff W

The decals are available from bikedecals .co.uk. They fit fine and while not an exact replica( shading on letters on mine) they are good. Any local back street body shop can do the respray if you take them the panels in,I  had my side panel done for £60 cash.
It\'s ok , this will only take 5 minutes.
96 Pimento Red Steamer.

Danwarb

Hi guys,

Great posts thank you.

I've got a spare black tank which is in good nick so I'm building up to going for it and solving the 'spinning nut syndrome' and follow the 'how to' sections here.

Then I think I'm going to buy two side fairing sections from Ebay.

If I get the fairing sections at a good price it seems like a lot less work to just buy them, fit them, polish them up then go !

I'll then have the original tank and two fairing sections that I'll have as spares. Those when I'm feeling flush I can then go remove the decals, fill, sand down, apply new decals and have properly sprayed up.

I'm LOVING this challenge get my steamer gleaming.

Thanks guys,

:thumbsup
Black 1995 Tiger 885

Sin_Tiger

Add crash bars to your shopping list. They won't stop the damage but they'll keep it manageable.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Danwarb

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on May 10, 2016, 12:05:13 AM
Add crash bars to your shopping list. They won't stop the damage but they'll keep it manageable.

Hi Sin,

Yes this is definitely a good idea.

Do you have a picture or a link to a Tiger with them fitted so I can see what they look like?
Black 1995 Tiger 885

threepot

95 Super111
96 Tiger

nickjtc

Quote from: Danwarb on May 10, 2016, 01:05:55 AM
Do you have a picture or a link to a Tiger with them fitted so I can see what they look like?

My old Steamer with engine protector bars fitted.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Sin_Tiger

"Bikedecals" are very good but no matter how good, they will never come close to the original arrangements. So if you want it to look right and in assuming you do or you wouldn't have bothered with this post and have been at it with a rattle can. You'll have to do both panels and the tank back to base colour first.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint