News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Gaitor removal..............permanently. O4 Tiger

Started by Fentible, July 03, 2016, 03:53:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fentible

I've been thinking about removing my gaitors all together, never been fond of the look but appreciate the protection factor. That said I'm unlikely to ever off road the old girl and my T509 is nearly 20 years old and the exposed stanchions are unmarked. Anyone removed their gaitors??

JayDub

One thing to remember is that the fork seals would take more punishment due to the abrasive dust and grit which they would then be exposed to... a reason why so many people fit gaiters in the first place - especially on this type of bike.

blacktiger

Quote from: JayDub on July 04, 2016, 05:47:41 PM
One thing to remember is that the fork seals would take more punishment due to the abrasive dust and grit which they would then be exposed to... a reason why so many people fit gaiters in the first place - especially on this type of bike.

As above and remember that the forks on these don't come fitted with any sort of dust cap like you'd get on other bike that don't have gaiters fitted. So remove the gaiters and you'll expose the seal directly to the elements.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Fentible

Thanks for input Jaydub & Blacktiger. Yes I did consider the fork seals, if I can find some suitable dustcaps I think I'll remove the gaitors. If I can't I'll leave the gaitors in place.

I have seen a picture of a Tiger with no gaitors, very clean look.

ed mocz

There should be a dust seal on there.  Shows it on the parts fiche and I just ordered some for my bike.  Dust and oil seals in one kit from All Balls.
2001 Tiger, not so Girly.