News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Buy a manual.

Started by Kill Switch, June 09, 2005, 09:06:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kill Switch

I have been on this site now for almost a year (as long as I have owned my 99) and, with all due respect, some here need to buy a manual.  That should be one of the first items on the goodies agenda.

ArizonaKid

:roll: . . . and your point being what, that we not ask questions about things that may or may not be burried in a manual somewhere?  Part of the attraction of BB's such as this is the free flow of information, regardless of whether or not it's found in a manual.  The knowledge and experiences shared by those who choose to participate serves to compliment information available elsewhere and adds a personal perspective to things.  Most people, IMHO, would rather "talk it over" with a real person, rather than simply read it in manual.  Sorry to burden you with such unnecessary discussions. :wink:
Arizona Kid

Riding hard and fast down Arizona way

2007 Triumph Tiger

ChrisN

Quote from: "ArizonaKid":roll: . . . and your point being what, that we not ask questions about things that may or may not be burried in a manual somewhere?  Part of the attraction of BB's such as this is the free flow of information, regardless of whether or not it's found in a manual.  The knowledge and experiences shared by those who choose to participate serves to compliment information available elsewhere and adds a personal perspective to things.  Most people, IMHO, would rather "talk it over" with a real person, rather than simply read it in manual.  Sorry to burden you with such unnecessary discussions. :wink:

Translation : "Why buy a manual when you can chew the fat here ?"
Chris

looch

Quote from: "ChrisN"Translation : "Why buy a manual when you can chew the fat here ?"

Do both, that way you can correct the mistakes in the manual.

When you're up to your ears and the manual is unclear or worse - wrong, another source of info is always appreciated.

BTW, anyone know when the hell Haynes is going to offer an updated version?
Looch

Kill Switch

Quote from: "ArizonaKid":roll: . . . and your point being what, that we not ask questions about things that may or may not be burried in a manual somewhere?  Part of the attraction of BB's such as this is the free flow of information, regardless of whether or not it's found in a manual.  The knowledge and experiences shared by those who choose to participate serves to compliment information available elsewhere and adds a personal perspective to things.  Most people, IMHO, would rather "talk it over" with a real person, rather than simply read it in manual.  Sorry to burden you with such unnecessary discussions. :wink:

My point being that some people ask questions that with a little effort can be found in a good manual.  Period.  No other implications.

Brock

My own experience of manuals (mainly the Haynes ones) is poor.

In particular the one Haynes do for the 955's is crap. It's useful for torque settings but that's about it. I think the concensus is that there is a wealth of folks on here who've learnt the hard way, that is, by doing it.
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein

cbxtc6

I have the Triumph manual for the Daytona and Speed Triple 955.  The electrical section is poor, at best. - maybe 6 pages total.  No troubleshooting info at all.  Is the Tiger manual any better?

henski

Here's a copy of what I wrote in "Heated grips after I made the same suggestion there.

It's not about not being nice, it's about encouraging people to read and think for themselves, ok if you don't have a Manual then I would encourage them to get one, which I agree won't have all the info they want about every specific topic but will always be usefull. I'm sure you don't just belive everything straight away that people write on these website's as the Monkey see Monkey do can always be dangerous. As they look through the manuals for the information they want they will come across other items that they will read and learn then use in the future. Whats this about being amonst friends, yes we will all help people but we shouldn't wrap them in cotton wool. Whats happens when they breakdown whilst out on the road, are they going to look for the nearest internet cafe! But if they've read some of the manual you never know they might be able to sort themselves out.

Brock

Henski...calm down mate. The whole idea of this site is that we share knowledge. Some of us have been round the block a bit so there's a wealth of experience to be tapped by those who aren't so confident.

Not everyone trusts "manuals". My own experience of them is that they vary from poor to crap, so I'd always ask the advice of someone with the knowledge. I see you've only contributed to this site 7 times since joining in Oct '04, so obviously you're someone who a/ doesn't need any help, or b/ is prepared to hand it out. Well, that's fine. But leave the others to use the site as it was intended; to share knowledge.

There.

Let's all hug now.
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein

henski

Brock, you say to leave the others to use the site as it was intended, well thats all i'm trying to do. I'm not saying don't ask questions as I have myself a couple of times ( as you have pointed out) and on other sites also, one reason I've only posted 7 times is because there is so much good info here I haven't needed to ask certain questions but you must agree with some of what I'm saying and can't deny that some of the questions that are asked here are in the manuals (triumph or haynes) and could be answered there with no need to post the topic at all, I don't think I'm alone on this either. We've all been around certain blocks and I know that encouraging people to find things out through this method is more benefial in the long run and they would soon then be able to help and contribute to other threads themselves thus building their own confidence. You maybe misunderstood that point I was trying to make. :D

zombie

I'm a lazy bastard and couldn't be arsed to read the manual it's actually lying unopened on my desk as I write, I stopped going around the block as it was making me dizzy and I was feeling really old

Here's the thing let people ask away it's a free world and I personally like the banter ..

What pressure should I run in my tires???????

henski

I run mine flat for a bit of craic you should try it!

ridin gaijin

Quote from: "Kill Switch"I have been on this site now for almost a year (as long as I have owned my 99) and, with all due respect, some here need to buy a manual.  That should be one of the first items on the goodies agenda.

Who gives a shit about the manuals? First thing I asked, once I bought my Tiger...Where are the manuals? There aren't any for the 05 'cept the Triumph one. And as several have pointed out, Haynes, Chilton, etc. have a pretty wide variance in accurancy and relevance. Some right on the money...others, not so.

It would be far more productive to clamber up on a soapbox and insist that everyone take a rider safety course or three. Save lives, not money. Then we could all gang up on any poor guy who gets into an accident, and tell him not to waste our time whining (or whinging) when he should have just gone to school. Right?

:roll:
2005 Tiger in Lucifurry Orange. Always something new it seems...

Debrucy

I feel i should add,havent not been on a bike for years and just recently bought a 96 steamer,i really like the help the boys and girls give me in this fourm,i really admire there unbiased help and unlike biker intellectuels such as Henski&Kill Switch they dont make me feel afraid to ask questions!!

I think you two snobs should get your own group together maby start dating each other and let the rest of us Friendy decent people alone!!

Kill Switch

Give this a break guys....you have taken a simple suggestion and blown it all out of proportion.  The forum is a great place to exchange ideas AND it is always good to have a manual and know how to use it.