News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

What does the vac line that goes to the ECU do?

Started by benebob, July 06, 2016, 10:43:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benebob

Finished packing for going to Mich. Upper Peninsula Adventure Trail today and while adding some fuses to the tool kit I noticed the vac line to the ecu was not attached.  Guessing it hasn't been attached for months which got me thinking.  What the heck does it do?
99 Tiger 885i (Killed 12/23/12 9:52am EST by a drunk driver) 06 Tiger 955i (traded 12/23/16  12:52pm)
13 Tiger 800

JoeDirt

It measures barometric pressure. It will work inside or outside of the air filter. Indirectly, I think the computer uses it to adjust for altitude. I am sure that Mr. Triumph wanted to keep spiders and dirt getting in there and put it on the "clean" side of the filter. :thumbsup

benebob

Okay so it is pretty much useless then huh.  :) 
99 Tiger 885i (Killed 12/23/12 9:52am EST by a drunk driver) 06 Tiger 955i (traded 12/23/16  12:52pm)
13 Tiger 800

Bixxer Bob

No it isn't.  It's vital for getting the correct fuel air mix. If the ECU can't measure the depression in the air box when you open the throttle hard it can't respond with the correct fuel mix for a given throttle position.you need to hook it up, and make sure it's not blocked or pinched by blowing down it toward the air box.  Don't blow toward the ECU, the sensor can be damaged.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

benebob

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on July 07, 2016, 10:34:40 AM
No it isn't.  It's vital for getting the correct fuel air mix. If the ECU can't measure the depression in the air box when you open the throttle hard it can't respond with the correct fuel mix for a given throttle position.you need to hook it up, and make sure it's not blocked or pinched by blowing down it toward the air box.  Don't blow toward the ECU, the sensor can be damaged.
I was kind of kidding but it isn't so vital if my bike has been running just as poorly as any other Triumph without it being attached for months. LOL
13 Tiger 800

JoeDirt

I am in no way saying it's useless. It can only measure pressure... it doesn't sniff the fuel. I am only saying that "yes" the machine will run without it, "yes" you didn't break your ECU and "yes" you need to hook it up.

Bixxer Bob

No-one suggested it "sniffs" the fuel Joe.  If you read my post again you'll understand I was talking about the ECU, not the sensor.  For Benebob's benefit, the ECU opens the injectors to deliver a squirt of fuel for a pre-determined time based on the amount of oxygen available, determined by the air temp and pressure; the pressure is measured by the sensor in question.  To give extremes as an example, cold pressurised air contains more oxygen than a hot depression.

Of course the calculations are more complex than that - throttle position, revs etc - but you get my drift. :thumbsup
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

JoeDirt

I am literally staying on point... the subject is "vac line"... it can only be measuring one part of the equation. That line can only be used for measuring the pressure inside the airbox. My point is that it really isn't different from ambient air pressure. Hell, everyone tunes their throttle bodies without it hooked up.

Sin_Tiger

Gents, the line reads Manifold Air Pressure, which includes a negative pressure. As BB says it feeds the ECU with the change in demand by the variation in throttle position.

Any variation in ambient pressure will affect the pressure in the manifold, so the adjustment for ambient/altitude is relative as the MAP sensor only sees what's in the air box.

It'll run without it but nowhere near as good as with it attached and intact.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

benebob

Well then mine is pretty useless as it runs pretty much the same with it on as when it is off.  Thanks guys, hooked it back up even before posting.  Just curious what it was for and why it never seemed to run differently or throw a code.  I am UP of Mich bound here in about an hour.  That is if I don't melt first.  2 days of 90+ and humidity that reminds me of when I was in school down near Joe.  :) 
13 Tiger 800

JoeDirt

The computer isn't smart enough to know that what you are feeding it is correct or not. I think the execution of the "vac hose" should have been a sensor separate to the ECU and signal sent via the wire harness. That's probably what that spare connector on the wire harness was intended for...  :^_^

Bixxer Bob

In most car systems, as you'll know Joe, it is.  But I think Triumph realised that with the oil breather venting into the airbox as well, and both that and the sensor needing to be on the throttle body side of the air filter in order to measure the vacuum created when you open the throttle or suck the fumes from the casing, the sensor wouldn't last five minutes in that oil mist environment.