News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

How upright is alright?

Started by Nick Calne, July 07, 2016, 10:28:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Calne

A longer side stand (Supplied by Mr Sin Tiger :><) has my bike standing very upright.

Too much?  What'd ya think? Hard for a steamer owner to judge, being so used to it leaning right over!  I think it is just about ok!

:nap
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

ghulst

I would love my Tiger to be so upright. :)
2008 Triumph Street Triple R | Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993, Tiger 800XC 2011

JoeDirt

Quote from: ghulst on July 07, 2016, 10:59:36 PM
I would love my Tiger to be so upright. :)

Well... the color is the same. :hat10

threepot

Looks OK Nick. I carry a block of wood around :icon_rolleyes:
95 Super111
96 Tiger

nickjtc

And if you turn the front wheel to the left it will lean over a tad more.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Sin_Tiger

Try this.

Full tank of fuel, luggage for a weekend camping, you fully dressed for riding sitting on the bike with the wheel straight. If the bike is still slightly to the left and you don't have to lean more than a couple of degrees to the right to swing the stand clear on flat hard ground then I feel that's safe. If not I nee to make you a slightly shorter one.

It's quite hard to be scientific with absolute measurements as there are so many factors involved.

If it's too long it's not a great drama to shorten it rather than the other way  :augie

Try rolling the wheels onto a 20mm plank and see how that feels. Just let me know and I can sort something out.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

JayDub

Looks good to me Nick, allowing for the Persian rug and the position of the bars  :icon_biggrin: mine settled after a week too.

Geoff W

It looks similar to mine. I had my stand straightened totally by an engineering friend, using oxy-acetyline a scaffolding pole and a 3lb hammer. Works well, but be careful if parking on a camber, you may have to tilt the bike so far over to get the stand up that you approach the point of no return. :nap
It\'s ok , this will only take 5 minutes.
96 Pimento Red Steamer.

ssevy

I re-bushed the pivot to get a better angle, and while it helped some, I still carry a hockey puck on a string in my jacket to use when I can't get a good parking spot. Hauling the big girl up off the side stand when she's fully packed on a trip really buggered up my lower back last spring, and I am still dealing with it, so I would say you are looking good. The point mentioned about having a good secure place to plant your right foot when taking her off the stand is an excellent point.
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

Nick Calne

I might start wearing a platform shoe on my right foot. Just to be sure...

ned37

QuoteTry rolling the wheels onto a 20mm plank
got me thinking..  what do they call a 2x4 in a metric country? :^_^
95 blue steamer
04 husaberg fe650e

Nick Calne

25 x 50mm is the designation for this construction timber size under the European system.

But I have yet to encounter anyone who actually calls it that here.

ghulst

Quote from: Nick Calne on July 09, 2016, 05:36:10 PM
25 x 50mm is the designation for this construction timber size under the European system.

But I have yet to encounter anyone who actually calls it that here.
Well, we'd call it by mm size, but I guess the UK doesn't really count as a metric country. (Just wondering what Brexit means to the measurement systems in the UK.  :bad )
On the other hand, I don't think we have 25x50mm like that. I think it is probably 24x something.
2008 Triumph Street Triple R | Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993, Tiger 800XC 2011

nickjtc

Wouldn't a 2x4 be a 50x100? We're almost metric here, but when it comes to wood stuff good old imperial is still in use.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

JayDub

Thats the rough sawn sizes... if its planed then knock off 2-3mm  :icon_wink: