News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Top box lock core removal

Started by Fentible, August 02, 2016, 12:58:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fentible

I bought my Tiger with panniers but no top box. Managed to get a top box today but will need to paint the lid to match my bike and mend one of the catches.

I would like to use the pannier key I already have on the top box locks, I did get a key but it just means another one on the keyring. I have read that the lock inners can be removed using a modified allen key and I'm fairly confident that I could then match the tumblers to my existing key. Anybody done this?? A forum search doesn't come up with anything.

Fent

Sin_Tiger

I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Bixxer Bob

I'm not familiar witht he Triumph top box locks, but at a guess there'll be a circlip on the barrelthat you neeed to remove then the inside can be slid out with the key in place.  But you don't have a key so therein lies a problem.  with my picks it would be a two minute job but you are going to have to manipulate each wafer in turn.

Incidentally, if you don't have the right wafers even when you've swapped them around you can simply file them until they do work with your key.

I find it helps to have one complete lock spare before starting.  That way you have one to f**k up and one to use, or a spare set of wafers, depending on which way you look at it.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Fentible

Thanks BB, I did get a key for the top box, so its not a major issue. I would just prefer my top box and panniers to utilise the one key

My understanding of these locks, from perusing other forums, is that the lock barrels are not held in with a circlip, they are released by engaging and rotating an internal mechanism through the key hole, which then allows the lock barrel to be pulled free. (There is seemingly a seventh pin just beyond the reach of the key that has to be rotated to free the barrel) There isn't a lot of information out there as understandably people are nervous about lock security. However it appears that the lock must already be in the unlocked position to allow it to be pulled free.

The piece of information I'm missing is that to remove the barrel, manufacturing a tool from an allen key, with very specific dimensions, is the order of the day.

I don't want to drill the old locks out and have to buy new ones when I can simply alter the existing locks to suit my chosen key by filing/swapping wafers as you suggest.

Got to get the blighters out intact first though.

EDIT: Just managed to find dimensions of said tool on the Triumph Trophy forum. I'll give it a crack and let you know how I get on. 

Timbox2

I had top box and panniers on my last Tiger that had different keys. I vaguely recall finding something on an old Yahoo Triumph group website but it wasnt straight forward. Best and easiest fix was removing panniers altogether, which funnily enough Ive done to my latest Tiger too, the R/H one only holds a sandwich and a bit anyway so not much use.
2016 Tiger Sport

Fentible

Timbox2

2016 Tiger Sport