News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Bodywork fixing - alternatives

Started by Aeschere, August 05, 2016, 11:28:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aeschere

Now that the bike is running again I can concentrate on some other jobs that need fixing. One of those jobs is to replace the sawn off screws of the bodywork fixing. I took a look over at

http://www.worldoftriumph.com/triumph_motorcycle_parts_locator.php?block_01=&block_02=100058863-0-2&block_03=23773

and was quite surprised to see that the price of the part A bolts are almost 7 pounds a piece(!). Since I need to replace all of the bolts that connect the bodywork to the gastank I will need 10 of them, including a replacement washer. Add in a replacement top bolt for the fuel tank and I am reaching a price tag of 110 pounds. For just a few bolts it seems a tad to much. Do you know of any alternatives that have a friendlier price? Off course I can just go to the local hardware store and get some bolts but they don't look as fancy.

Thanks in advance!

London_Phil

London_Phil

The beauty of using the Allen set screws is you are able to tighten without putting a rotational force on the insert, so all you do is apply lots of Coppaslip, insert the set screw finger tight into the tank, then tighten the nut whilst holding the set screw still with the allen key ( like oldy worldy tappets). I have a loose insert, and have been able to remove the tank numerous times without any fear....

ghulst

I bought this set from Kevin:
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=281365581298&globalID=EBAY-NL
They work fine and the big ones look like the Triumph ones. (They are a bit lighter and get damaged a bit easier, but they work fine and are a fraction of the cost of the Triumph ones.) See the pictures in my radiator replacement topic to see them on my Steamer.
2008 Triumph Street Triple R | Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993, Tiger 800XC 2011