News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Loose connections at ignition

Started by ghulst, August 23, 2016, 03:59:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghulst

Ok, so another problem follows the previous ones...

Apparently I have some loose connections to the ignition lock. Any idea if I can take it apart and how to do it?
2008 Triumph Street Triple R | Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993, Tiger 800XC 2011

Timbox2

On the Girlies there is a fairly common issue with one of the cables going to the ignition  switch parting company and requiring resoldering, a green cable from memory, whether its the same issue on Steamers though???
2016 Tiger Sport

ghulst

Is there someone who can tell me how I can get the cap off at the bottom so I can access the wiring for the lock?

Please?

ghulst

Any tips on how to get the top triple off? I have loosened the nut, loosened the four bolts holding the fork legs, but it won't move. :(

davetheworv

plusgas or wd40,run it round the top join and leave to soak through. could you get a screwdriver or small wedge  in the gap between the ends of the clamp to open them slightly??
have you slackened the screws right off,maybe you need to give another full turn??

my sprint has a bottom yoke bolt which only moves about half a turn but it is still enough to remove the fork leg,I did use the plusgas trick though

ghulst

I can spread the clamps with screwdrivers and the bolts are just about completely out. However, I get next to no movement around the center, where I have removed the nut. It almost seems as if it is still held back by something underneath.

ghulst

So, the first episode of the "let's fix the ignition" saga...

The ignition lock closes over these two squares. I guess they are for the steering lock, but they're annoying.

As you can see they stick out enough that you have to rotate the top triple almost 180 degrees to get it off.

Unfortunately that means taking most of the bike apart. :( I have been lazy and have only lowered the fork legs. I'm sure I'm going to regret that when it's time to put everything back together.

Anyway, the triple is off now. Next time it's time to drill and open it up.

ghulst

Ok, I'm never enthusiastic about drilling out bolts, but it had to be done.

So it was time to get everything set up. I had read that a locksmith tip was to drill a hole, then push in a slightly bigger Allen key. However, obviously that didn't happen. Can't have all the luck, right?

But, it worked.

Time to pull the cap off and take the rotator out.

Then there is the black bit with all the wiring. So that had to come out.

And then it goes up to the rest of the lock.

When we stripped the wiring the break was easily spotted. After a bit of soldering the whole thing could be put back together.

And then it worked again.

So I put the Tiger back together again tonight. Haven't ridden it yet, but everything seems fine.

Nick Calne

Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

ghulst

Thanks Nick! It all seems to work fine, just don't have the time for a test run today. :(

ghulst

Quote from: ghulst on September 04, 2016, 02:20:29 PM
It all seems to work fine
Right...

But it doesn't.

Last night, I had the engine turn over a couple of times, just to see if that worked. Which it did. Then tonight, I decided to do a quick run to check everything. Needless to say, I never rode away from the garage. The engine turns over, the carbs get fuel. I have enough power as the lights are on, it turns over etc.
But it doesn't start.  :BangHead

Any suggestions on what to check next?

P3aK

You left the cat sleeping for too long and now you have to flush it's internals to wake it?

I dunno but it seems everytime I need to wrench something on the bike it wants me to clean the carburetors after to get it running.

My favorite shortcut is to turn off the fuel, drain the carbs and then turn on fuel again. Let sit for 2min before try to start. Needs 4-7 turnovers before it splutters to life. Works 7/10 times for me.

That's if everything really is alright and you didn't forget to put a sparkplug connection or something back on.
Triumph Tiger 900 -98

ghulst

Carbs are fine. I am thinking it is probably an electrical connection somewhere, but this is very frustrating.

Any tips on how to measure what on the Tiger's electrics? I need to get this cat back on the road.

London_Phil

Nick Calne

You gotta work back from the plugs now. Spark?
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?