News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Water loss

Started by Kiwitigger, October 15, 2016, 10:06:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiwitigger

Hi all
WEnt for a ride today about 100 miles and when I pulled up in my garage and put the bike on the stand water pissed out of the overflow hose. Didn't seem to have been overheated. After it cooled down I topped up the water and run it up to temperature and doesn't appear to be leaking.any ideas what the problem might be?

Timbox2

It could be as simple as you having the expansion bottle too full. With a cold engine you dont want any more than about half way betweeen min and max. But Rad Caps are also a weak point, though when they go you do tend to get a bit of boiling over. You say you topped up with water? Its ok for emergencys but you do need a good 50/50 mix to protect not only against freezing, but corrosion too. Old coolant mixes can attack the sealing of the liners for one thing.

PS: I should have said do a search on puking Girlies, war and peace written on it.
2016 Tiger Sport

Kiwitigger

Thanks TImbox
I hadn't topped up the coolant for ages as the level was fine and dropped the water out of the blue. WEnt for a long ride yesterday and kept a close eye on bothe the water level and temperature and all was normal.parked it up and several minutes later the water came out of the overflow again so scratching my head here.

Chris Canning

As Tim said rad caps on these Tigers aren't great best thing to to do lift the tank drop the coolant out change the rad cap and start from scratch not complicated just do the refill slowly,and having said all of that I remember mine spitting its dummy out having hammered the bike down the Aosta valley on a hot day stopped at a service station outside of Milan for a drink came back to the bike and it had dumped coolant on the floor from the over flow temperature stayed good so just carried on and it was fine.

Timbox2

Quote from: Kiwitigger on October 16, 2016, 07:16:27 PM
Thanks TImbox
I hadn't topped up the coolant for ages as the level was fine and dropped the water out of the blue. WEnt for a long ride yesterday and kept a close eye on bothe the water level and temperature and all was normal.parked it up and several minutes later the water came out of the overflow again so scratching my head here.

Pretty much what mine did a couple of months back, I changed the rad cap anyway knowing that its a Tiger weakness, I also changed the thermostat at the same time, though in hindsight dont think anything was wrong with it,  gave me a good excuse to flush and refill the coolant anyway
2016 Tiger Sport

Vampyre

Hi Kiwi.

Just check your fan. It seems that it's doesn't work. I had the same problem on my Subaru and friend's Honda CB500. When you are moving your radiator is cooled by the air, but when you stop the water start to boil and spits out of the can.
885i T709 1999

Kiwitigger

HI Vampyre
You were right my fan wasn't working. Ran it up to temp in the garage and the fan didn't switch on so ran a power to it and it spun up good. Does the temp sender work thru the ECU? Just wondering what to check or replace next

Timbox2

Quote from: Kiwitigger on October 28, 2016, 05:31:42 AM
HI Vampyre
You were right my fan wasn't working. Ran it up to temp in the garage and the fan didn't switch on so ran a power to it and it spun up good. Does the temp sender work thru the ECU? Just wondering what to check or replace next

Maybe start with checking the wiring and sender.  Cold engine you should get somewhere around 2 to 4K ohms across the sender terminals. With a warm engine it should be 200 to 400 ohms.  Pin 1 of the sender goes to ECU 1/B2,  Pin 2 of sender goes to ECU 1/E4.

Heres some pics from the OE wiring troubleshooting pages, hope they are clear enough. This does of course assume its not an issue with the power supply to the fan itself, (Fuse No 7, or relay) again this is where Tune ECU helps as you can turn the fan on in the tests screen.

2016 Tiger Sport

Kiwitigger

HI guys thanks for all the help re this issue. I got an auto sparky in to check all the fan electrics and he couldn't find anything amiss so put it all back together with a new radiator cap and hey presto, problem fixed. HAve had it out for a good long ride and all seems ok. HAve just fitted a new Palmer screen and although haven't been too far with it yet, so far it doesn't seem much better than the stock screen but will persevere with the adjustable settings and see how it goes

Vampyre

Quote from: Kiwitigger on October 28, 2016, 05:31:42 AM
HI Vampyre
I would start from checking all fuses, relays and wiring. Just make a simple test, disconnect the fan and connect it directly to your battery. In 99% cases it is a dead wire connector but it is possible that fan itself is broken. Time is merciless:)
885i T709 1999