News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Clutch cage wobble?

Started by KiwiTIGERnOZ, November 19, 2016, 04:40:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KiwiTIGERnOZ

Hi
I'm planning a big ride over Christmas from Vic to SA so doing the pre-mechanical things I've been leaving for a while.
Just thought I'd pull my clutch out of '02 Girly as the there as there the clutch would only operate very close to fully pulled.

1. Friction plates seem ok 3.8mm thickness. She has 76,000 kms on the clock. Instead of wasting money and not just replacing the clutch anyway, I'll get a new gasket and reassemble....

> I think I'll replace the clutch cable (leaving the existing one in for backup) and play with the cable a bit better so there is more travel in the clutch play

2. I did a quick inspection of the internals I found that the clutch cage has a bit of wobble in it - is this normal? I've uploaded a video to youtube which will be easier to explain my question. Could this be a bearing behind the (flywheel?) spocket?

I've taken photos so I write up a Girly how-to later on.

Cheers
KT
A Kiwi, lost in a country full of Roos and Wombats, on a Tiger...it\'s jungle out there.

Bixxer Bob

I'm not sure anyone has had theirs apart to be able to answer your question but it doesn't seem right to me.  I've been into the clutch on other bikes and never seen this.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

KiwiTIGERnOZ

Thanks Bixxer yes wondering if it's a bit of play as the clutch pull rod seats into the clutch casing? So when the case is on it's secure?
Hmmm. Not sure.
A Kiwi, lost in a country full of Roos and Wombats, on a Tiger...it\'s jungle out there.

HockleyBoy

Have had mine apart very recently but didnt notice any wobble, then again I didn't try to move it as you did in the video. As my issue is still not fixed to my satisfaction it will be coming apart again in the next week or so at which point I will see if it moves.
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

Timbox2

If nothing else, think I would be checking the centre clutch nut is tight (105Nm). Again I dont know, but doesnt seem right to me, there is a sleeve and needle bearing in the centre and I would have thought play would not be a good thing.
2016 Tiger Sport

KiwiTIGERnOZ

Thanks everyone for having a think. If I delve any deeper then will need to fab up the clutch service tool and then find a 105Nm torque wrench mine only goes upto 22Nm.
If I do take the clutch basket out does anyone know if the bearings will be easily removed? I'm only going of the Triumph workshop manual. Maybe I will show the video when I pick up bits from the bike shop and see if they know, being a Triumph dealer and all.
Not really keen to go in deeper if I don't have to  :icon_confused: Want to be up and running for big ride in the Flinders Ranges over Christmas! :wings

Timbox2

Hey Kiwi,

You might want to look at this thread from the Rat Forum, does mention some movement in the outer basket which the guy says is normal???

http://www.triumphrat.net/maintenance-tips-and-tricks-for-your-sprint/112192-rexxypup-s-101-clutch-removal-and-refitting-for-955-a.html
2016 Tiger Sport

KiwiTIGERnOZ

Thanks TimBox - He says perfectly normal in upper case and don't worry with an exclamation mark. For a pom to put an exclamation mark then it's serious  :icon_biggrin:
Great how-to though! I'll take a gamble and put her back together. Do our Girlies have the same friction plate thickness? Should they all be 3.8mm or only the outer and the rest 3.2mm? The workshop manual says only 3.8mm but I don't trust it.

HockleyBoy

See if you can find your model on Bike Bandit or one of the other part suppliers sites, the diagrams usually tell you how many of each plate are required and the thickness is often in the description.
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport