News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Chain slider and rubbing strip in UHMW(-PE)?

Started by P3aK, June 20, 2017, 12:09:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

P3aK

I know someone did a rubbing strip in UHMW some time ago... are there any measurements, more details? Width, Length, Thickness?
Guess the rubbing strip would be sort of easy, but what about the chain slider that goes on the swing? Could it work to exchange that for UHMW?

I've never taken mine off so I don't know how difficult of a fit it is to begin with. Does it go on easy? Is there space? How does it attach? Looks to me like it's only one screw holding it on the outside (vertical) of the swing.

Thinking if it would be possible to just make two slips, one top, one bottom, drill and tap the swing and attach them like that. Does one really need the protection on the outside of the swing?

How slippery is the surface of the UHMW once it's ground down a bit? Same friction or more?
I read somewhere the melting point is ~140 C, how hot does it get if riding 500km with that chain rubbing against it all the time?

So many questions... : :icon_scratch:
Triumph Tiger 900 -98

Mustang

the chain slider on swingarm is an injection molded pc of (best guess) hard nylon or it could be UHMW
already . they would be a bitch to duplicate .

its held on by only 2 or 3 screws but the fit is very precise and tight to swingarm.

they last well past 20.000 miles if you dont flip your rear axle upside down.

cheap enuff for a new one when its time

P3aK

Rubbing strip: 55€
Slider: 22€
Shipping: 8€
Delivery time: 10-16 days

That's my only Swedish source unfortunately. I can find it cheaper in the states or UK, but shipping hikes the costs and delivery time about the same.
I was more thinking of finding some left over blocks of UHMW for cheap or free and make 3-4 pieces for future use.

Had a look at the rubbing strip on swingarm and yeah it's 3 screws, one in front vertical, once in center vertical, one in the back on top horizontal.
And that piece does look like a bitch to replicate.

3D printer anyone?
Triumph Tiger 900 -98

London_Phil

I think I've got a part worn rubbing strip which I no longer need.
Yours for postage, If yours is fubar??

fishnbiker

This what you mean? My version is hard nylon fitted to the bottom side of the swing arm at the heaviest wear point. Minimal wear after 5 years. I still have the rest of the OEM rubbing strip in place, changed every 2~3 years.

UHMW? What?
Ken/Fishnbiker
& Felix, blue 95 Tiger, & Buzz, 08 blue Suzuki DR 650 SE, & Mini-D, 97 white Suzuki DR 350 SE

P3aK

That is interesting fishnbiker. Thanks for the pics.

No it's alright Phil, it ain't completely gone yet. Just having some thoughts for the future.

UHMWPE = Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene, very durable plastic with extremely long chains, with a molecular mass usually between 3.5 and 7.5 million amu. The longer chain serves to transfer load more effectively to the polymer backbone by strengthening intermolecular interactions. This results in a very tough material, with the highest impact strength of any thermoplastic presently made.

It has extremely low moisture absorption and a very low coefficient of friction; is self-lubricating and is highly resistant to abrasion, in some forms being 15 times more resistant to abrasion than carbon steel. Its coefficient of friction is significantly lower than that of nylon and acetal, and is comparable to that of polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE, Teflon), but UHMWPE has better abrasion resistance than PTFE.

Kinda miracle plastic.
Triumph Tiger 900 -98

fishnbiker

My nylon slider was made up to cover serious damage done to the swingarm due to a badly stretched chain from a week's gravel riding. Wear shown is from 5 years~30,000 km of gravel roads use.
Ken/Fishnbiker
& Felix, blue 95 Tiger, & Buzz, 08 blue Suzuki DR 650 SE, & Mini-D, 97 white Suzuki DR 350 SE