News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

93 Steamer

Started by Beernard, December 05, 2019, 11:00:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Feisty

Quote from: London_Phil on January 03, 2020, 06:05:07 PM
One of the reasons Steamers are dissapearing from UK and Europe so much now, other than age, is our emission laws are somewhat extreme.
My one would have cost me £12 PER DAY to ride into London....Hockley Boy, who Commutes had the same issue with the Girlys, but some can be re-assessed.

Going more off topic, but whats with the PM of Oz grabbing peoples hands when they obviously want to tell him hes a "XXXX" but are just not interested enough. He comes across as a bit off in the UK media.
Hope everyone stays safe

Ive always wondered if the effect on the world is greater building a new bike as opposed to keeping an older one on the road.
We seem to be lucky here. If a vehicle gets to 25 or 30 years it becomes about 80% cheaper to keep on the road registration and insurance wise. No smog or congestion taxes in Aust from my knowledge.
Re the PM.... I'm not sure too many people have much respect for him. He was just the best choice at the time.   He us still dealing with the fallout from sneaking off to Hawaii for a family holiday at the start of this national disaster.  This was only beaten by a State Emergency services minister heading off to Europe  for a holiday right in the middle of it.

93TigerBill-2016

The comprehensive insurance costs also drop, my insurer (without asking) dropped the renewal cost, and I don't have my '93 on 'club' plates either.  Worth a lot more as a write-off than selling it! (neither in my plans).

Re: Politicians - no matter who gets elected, we finish up with a politician.
[Seems there's a notable exception in NZ....]
'93 Triumph Tiger, Caspian Blue, Blue Engine Cases
132,000 km;  IBA #45911

Beernard

Grouse to hear from you OZ Steamer boys. I see a number of interesting issues here already.
Phil has just told us about (I hope I'm right Phil)) the leaders of the UK legislating the old rigs off the road. Please correct me if I am wrong, Phil. Then Feisty brings up the issue of keeping the old girls (read ANY old girls - cars, bikes, etc) on the road. Perhaps big business has a bigger say in the UK than it does here? (Did I really say that!!??!! :cp) Gotta sell everywhere, I suppose.
Maybe our economy is a bit like Cuba! Wish I owned some of their old cars. Dig deeper and look at yours truly robbing Trophy parts to keep the Steamer happening.
Back to Feisty. I also wonder (obviously) about the relative costs. Fantastic bikes to be had for a pittance. It does seem that the old bike and car scene here has little impact on anything but the owner's hip pocket! As it should. Also spreads the cash that the said owners obviously have. Poor people don't own Hot Rods!
Anyway, lets hope the lull in fire activity leads into a cessation. I note some cyclone activity up North. Yee Haa!
Regards,
Ripper, woke up again.

Feisty

Quote from: 93TigerBill-2016 on January 04, 2020, 10:42:05 PM
The comprehensive insurance costs also drop, my insurer (without asking) dropped the renewal cost, and I don't have my '93 on 'club' plates either.  Worth a lot more as a write-off than selling it! (neither in my plans).

Re: Politicians - no matter who gets elected, we finish up with a politician.
[Seems there's a notable exception in NZ....]

I rang up my insurance company (shannons) to insure the steamer. They were quite happy to insure it at twice its market value (7k) on an agreed value policy. I then went to pay and was told that as it was my 7th vehicle with them my multi vehicle discount went from 10% discount to 20%. Instead of paying them they sent me a cheque for $250 and insured my bike !!!!!!!
Other good part  is the excess is only $150 if I claim.  This is why all my bikes and cars were purchased to be older than 25 years in 5 years.

Feisty

Quote from: Beernard on January 07, 2020, 10:07:09 AM
Grouse to hear from you OZ Steamer boys. I see a number of interesting issues here already.

Hiya Beernard. You are lucky to have a trophy to borrow parts from. Id love that luxury. I have it with oilhead bmw bikes but the tiger is all alone.   She is nearly done thankfully. Just needs fuel bowl gaskets and a tune as it stumbles below 4k other than that the suspension is pretty average two up. It has white power springs and a rebuilt rear shock but is still horrible. I need to read the manual and screw up the preload and maybe up the fork oil weight.  Oh and it came with no thermostat installed so I am waiting for one to arrive from Old Blighty.   

The wail over 4k under hard acceleration is super intoxicating.  I need to do something to the exhaust........

Beernard

Gday Feisty,
Great insurance story. Looks like I will have a chat to Shannon's real soon! Most of my bikes are treasured but geriatric too!
Off topic, but the rain is finally here. Yee effin haa!
I agree "Full noise" is grouse. Mine had a modified muffler system when I got it. Evidenced by the welds etc. Sadly I have no idea of what happened inside! Sounded great (deep and gnarly). I became annoyed by the cans restricting my luggage options so I replaced them. I was also trying to reduce high up weight (rooted knees). I lucked upon a Remus 3-1 on ebay for play money and put that on. Had to modify it with my favourite hammer and grinder because it had an issue with the centre-stand, but they are friends now. Lucked out again on a Supertrapp muffler and she looks like a slightly different animal. Don't think she goes any better, but more suited to my needs.
Tigger is having a rest right now due to a recent knee replacement but that has given me time to give her a bit of attention. I am sure all good motorcycles like that!
Good luck with your tuning and suspension adventures.
Hope all is well.
Ripper, woke up again.