News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Just another Newbie

Started by spanky, July 27, 2005, 08:12:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spanky

Hello all, I just ordered a 2006 in silver (put a deposit down and every thing)

it'll be here in late Sep, or early Oct. "HOLY MOLEY" I cant stand it. I mean, I've been riding since I was 9 , but this is the first new bike I've ever bought and its all I think about (please dont tell my wife) I will however need to figure out how to lower it about an inch and 1/2 so I'm not tippy toein it.

I'v read and enjoyed many of your stories and photo's, and I look forward to sharing some of my own. Ride safe...... :D/
Happy trails to you

Honda Magna, Yamaha SR 600 thumper, and impatiently Waiting for delivery of My 2006 Caspian blue Cat..

echoyankee

Did you tip toe that showroom bike with the seat on it's lowest settings?

My 2001 has a few different seat position/height settings (I'm assuming also featured on the 2006).  Maybe your adjustment will be simpler than you think!

Let us know if you need help finding your eye after your wife finds out about your new purchase.

Hope you have many happy, safe miles.

Best,

echoyankee

greg

Yes do check the seat height adjustment before you do anything drastic! It's really easy to do, just remove the seat and look underneath it for the adjuster.
2004 Girly.

BykBoy

Quote from: "spanky"Hello all, I just ordered a 2006 in silver

From what I read, the new engine is cleaner looking and gear shifting is much smoother. :D I'd love to see pics and hear your opinion on gear shifting once you get the new ride.

Quote from: "spanky"... I will however need to figure out how to lower it about an inch and 1/2 so I'm not tippy toein it.

Unfortunately for you, Tirumph abandand the rear chain adjustment thingamajigi system they had.  Too bad.  That thing was very handy in lowering the back.  :(

I don't understand why they got rid of it, or why the went with that silver colored frame... ](*,)

At any rate, after riding my lowerd bike for a few years, I recently went the other way and got it as High as I can. I even pushed the front forks back to the original positon in the yokes (flush with the top clamp). I'm only 5'7" (with helmet and boots :oops:) but I got used to tiptoeing both feet and it's not that big a deal. Let me tell you, getting the lowerd Cat on the stock center stand is not easy, especially when it's fully loaded with gear and fuel...

Quote from: "greg"Yes do check the seat height adjustment before you do anything drastic! It's really easy to do, just remove the seat and look underneath it for the adjuster.

What he said.

I still ride the lowest seat position in the city, but I now ride in the highest position for longer trips. It takes 20 seconds to change positions and makes a big difference in comfort (higher is more comfortible, IMHO).
2001 Black 955i Tiger

Save $5 when you open a SmugMug account. Use the following coupon: 4l1hicJzWvYNE

cbxtc6

I agree, it is more comfortable in the higher position.  I had my '03 lowered, both rear(chain adj) and front(forks).  I too, think I will put the rear and front back where they were.  I noticed the limited rear ground clearance while riding two-up, with full load.  I'm 5'8", and think I can handle the higher ride height.  

Cheers on your new purchase!

Foxy

Again got to say the seat is most comfortable on the lowest setting. I try to raise it for longer trips - pillion and luggage soon drop the overall height back down but I keep it low for town work - makes it a bit easier when I'm bouncing up & down kerbs!

spanky

I thank you all for your advise, I checked with the dealers mech, and he told me that there is an after market rear shock that has height adjustments with out affecting the ride. I'm 5'9" so it shouldnt be to hard to get use to.

Like I mentioned Im not getting her until the end of Sep or the first part of Oct, (some time) but I've already planned my first trip for the following weekend after that blessed event.  :D/ I will for sure take pictures, and post them as soon as I get it figured out. Thanks again.
Happy trails to you

Honda Magna, Yamaha SR 600 thumper, and impatiently Waiting for delivery of My 2006 Caspian blue Cat..

holland1

Hi spanky,

Since my wife is 5.9" I recognize the issue. For her to be able to stand with a decent amount of self confidence I lowered the forks in the yokes at the front approx 2cm ( 0,8 inch?) and , more importantly pealed of the inside of the saddle so that it became somewhat smaller and thus easier to put feet on the ground.

To be honest I think it only improved steering and handling. Now I own a '02 model  so I'm not sure if they already made this adjustment on yours...

nice colour though!  :D

gas is alles

spanky

Thanks Holland1.

I'm just gonna have to wait and see I guess, The mech also said that the ajustable rear suspention(after market of coarse) should improve off road handling. The wait seems like an eternity, I can't believe I stiil have a month to go.
Happy trails to you