News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Newbie chain adjustment question

Started by Mudhen, August 02, 2005, 04:48:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudhen

I REALLY hate to ask this question...but here goes:

The Haynes manual for my Steamer says 1.5" of slack...does that mean, pull the chain down/away from the bike, then lift it all the way up as far as it goes, with the entire travel 1.5"?  Or does that mean, from rest, lift it up 1.5" inches as far as it will go?  (obviously, on the center stand, at the longest run of chain, and turning the wheel to check multiple places on the chain)

I'm confused because everyone says 'the number the manual tells you is too tight'...not sure if that's the owners manual or the Haynes manual, and if they're talking 955i or Steamer.

Also, when I set it to 1.5" (from rest) and am rolling the bike in/out of the garage unladen, I notice that the chain is actually touching the center stand.  Which I'm guessing isn't right....or maybe my center stand is tweaked...I have used it as a skid plate in the past...

I think I miss my shaft drive.

Thanks,

Pat
\'96 Steamer

Dick Boyer

Yes, if your chain is hittting the center stand, its bent up. 1.5 inches is too tight. Try sitting on the bike and reaching down to feel the tension. You will notice its tight. When sitting on the bike or with your weight on the seat leave about .5 inch of slack. If you're a heavy guy leave more. Otherwise when you hit a bump all the tension will be taken up and then start streatching the chain over and over putting on more wear than necessary.

looch

The Triumph manual for the 955i is what's generating the kerfuffle. It says to adjust the chain using the side stand  :?: (probably because the center stand is an option). The spec for the slack is 35-40 mm (~1.5") total. If you were to follow these instructions, once you sat on the bike the chain would be tighter than a crab's arse.

Mine was adjusted this way and when I noticed it last year at CC04, Drif loosened the pinch bolts, and we heard a "ping" - the eccentric adjusters saying "holy crap, thanks!" as they moved back to a less stressed position.

And there you have the best way to get a baseline: Have someone about your size sit on the bike while you adjust the chain to just "slightly loose." Recheck after tightening everything back up. Then put the bike on the center stand and measure the slack so you know how to adjust it alone next time.
Looch

Mudhen

Thanks guys, I'll try it out.  I tried to sit on it myself and feel the tension but I'm not coordinated enough...I just know I'm going to end up lying under the bike in the driveway  :shock:

See you next month at CC05, Looch?
\'96 Steamer

looch

Looch