News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tiger as a workhorse ?

Started by IrishJohnny, August 11, 2005, 12:22:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IrishJohnny

Hello all,

Virtual drinks on me.

I've browsed here on and off in the past as I've always liked Tigers.

I recently had an Africa Twin but changed it for a Thruxton which was a good move for me.

However, I'm thinking about a Tiger for work.

Here's the idea...the Africa Twin was too tall/I was too small but my thought was to get a Tiger with a Hagon type rear shock and drop the forks to make the bike lower for me, inside leg 29".

Luggage wise I thought about adding the topbox to the panniers so I'd have room for laptop bag, small toolbag, site boots, hard hat, high viz jacket and files.

The majority of the roads would be motorways and A roads, ideally avoiding a lot of the traffic problems I encounter in the car.

Plus it would be a great tourer for me and my boy.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance.

John

danimal

John:

Can't go wrong with the tiger for commuting, although here in Paris, I'm dodging a lot of whacky Parisians.  Just picked up the Tiger a month ago after moving here from the States.  Have a GS back there and can say the Tiger is a wonderful bike.  The triple is a screem.  You would do well with the top case, as I take the side bags off for dodging through traffic.

Good luck.

greg

The topbox is great once you have assembled it (Mine came in a box, in bits, crap service thank you Triumph), but if you are doing alot of motorway work then you may have to experiment with screens as turbulence above 80mph can be a problem, there are many threads on this on the forum, I have ended up with the Triumph Sport screen. Otherwise you just can't beat a Tiger for general work. Get the orange one. Faster, stronger, better.
2004 Girly.

greg

I forgot to mention, mine's a guiness. cheers.
2004 Girly.

Brock

John...welcome mate. You'll love the Tiger, ya will, ya will, ya will.

Brilliant commuting tool, but a topbox is the way to go if you like filtering. I bought a Kappa one intended for scooters. It's about 41 litres, comes with a plate that bolts straight to the rack and cost about £60-£70. Looks smart too. Black ones are the best...mean, moody, magnificent and rare.
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein

ChrisN

John,

You already made the right decision - good luck 8)

Just had to reply as I'm partial to a vitual pint, and there's a little too much orange and black in here, don't you think?
Chris

IrishJohnny

Thanks for your replies.

danimal.....riding around Paris !...done that once and I discovered I'm not the thrill seeker I thought I was  :shock:

greg...guinness is always a good thing

Brock and Chris......I like most of the colours, even the orange, not sure about the new blue though. Black, BRG and silver I think are the top three.

Cheers,

John

Brock

On the subject of top boxes...anyone else know that the huuuuuge K1200LT/LX has a vanity mirror AND A FLIPPIN' VANITY LIGHT in it's top box??? Laugh? I thought my trousers would never dry...
Chris

tomla

29" inseam?   You'll be sorrrrry!

greg

Quote from: "Brock"On the subject of top boxes...anyone else know that the huuuuuge K1200LT/LX has a vanity mirror AND A FLIPPIN' VANITY LIGHT in it's top box??? Laugh? I thought my trousers would never dry...
Thats nothing, my Triumph topbox has a pond in it when it rains, I was thinking of introducing some frogspawn and maybe having a small bog garden, or should I just drill a couple of holes in the bottom and have a waterfall feature?
2004 Girly.

Brock

He he he...my wife's first car was a hideous little mini back in the dark ages. Bloody thing had a leak in the windscreen rubber that I couldn't fix. Eventually I drilled loads of holes in the floorpan to let the water out. Your idea isn't so daft after all. But frogspawn?
Chris

Aussie Tiger

QuoteI like most of the colours, even the orange, not sure about the new blue though. Black, BRG and silver I think are the top three.

Hey, don't wright-off the Blue! In fact it isn't that new, mearly resurected. (Remember the Blue Steamers?)  In the sunlight it looks fantastic, a real head turner!  Then again, I could be a little biased. :lol:
2006 Caspian Blue Tiger

Never regret growing old...Its a privilege not afforded to many!