News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Seat and fuel gauge questions

Started by Hardboiledone, September 13, 2005, 04:16:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardboiledone

Hello everyone:

I just bought an '03 (Tigger Orange) from the dealer in Denver. Spent 3 days riding it back to the east coast (two seven hundred mile days). The bike worked great except for one problem and one glitch.

The problem was the seat. A real pain in the ass :cry: . I can do an easy 350 mile day on my CBR and my Supermoto with no problems but the standard Tiger seat had me yelping after 200 miles. How much better is the gel seat? What about sheepskin pads or the airhawk pads? I'd go with a Corbin but I'm only 5'9" (and already on my toes with the bike) and have read that they are wider.

The glitch was the fuel gauge. Ten miles from the dealer, the gauge goes to empty and the light comes on. I'm wondering if I just lost a tankful of fuel (and will I catch on fire). Stopped and checked-tank still full- so I kept riding. Since I was unsure of the range I kept filling-up every 170 miles. (BTW 40 mpg while averaging 80+mph). The gauge would work in the mornings usually through the first fuel stop. By noon it would not be working. Sometimes it worked in the evenings. Could heat cause the problem? Everyday was very hot and sunny. I've read some postings about the problem. Is it an easy fix for a dealer? Does it stay fixed? Do new Triumphs have to have some electronic gremlin to harkin back to the good old days?

Thanks for any info.
...(the noise) suddenly turned into Tigger; a Friendly Tigger, a Grand Tigger, a Large and Helpful Tigger, a Tigger who bounced, if he bounced at all, in just the beautiful way a Tigger ought to bounce.    A.A. Milne

djr

I found the gel seat to be very good (not perfect but I doubt any will be). At the cost it makes superb value as well. Be aware not everyone likes it but most I know of seem to.

Sounds like its just faulty. Heat should not affect it. easy fix for dealer. Most of the guages read a little strangely but the light tends to come on universally with 6l left in the tank. I tend to get 300kms till the light which should leave approx another 100kms to dry but I have never tested this.

barjan

Fuell gauge is a common glitch.

On my first tiger ('00) which I bought second hand, the gauge was all over the place (but the light worked well as I remember). It was fixed by replacing the sender. From then on it worked without a problem and with the present tiger '02 it also works without a problem.

There are a lot of faulty senders around I guess.

Go back to the dealer for warrenty  :shock:  :lol:

(I don't think it's a big job, but I don't know how the sender is connected to the tank)

Gel seat recommended. Don't leave it in the sun too long....it gets HOT!

Fuel gauge sender seems to be a common fault. As per djr, my light comes on with 6 litres left. that's about 1.5 gallons US.