News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

98 tiger cracked case

Started by deadtiger, November 13, 2005, 03:44:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deadtiger

Hi, I've got a 98 885 tiger. I'm looking for a lowercrankcase. Any wrecks or burned up motors with good cases out there? What happened to mine is were the oil filter thru bolt attaches to the case it has cracked out all the way around the threaded boss. The only causes I can think of would be overtorqueing. It was very tight when I got the bike. Or a rock hit the head of the bolt causing a sudden shock that might crack it. I have had the bike offroad in very rocky terrain. To any one else I'd recommend always using a torque wrench when changing the filter,and a full skid plate that extends all the way back if you plan on doing any offroad riding with this bike. Has anyone ever heard of this happening before? I wonder about the overtorque theory as I would think the threads would strip first.   Any ideas on a fix or parts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Mudhen

Ouch...that sucks.  That bolt is torqued to 13ft lbs...would JBWeld hold it?  Or what about having it professionally welded?

I bet Baxters has a case... http://www.baxtercycle.com/

Good luck, and let us know how you make out.

Pat
\'96 Steamer

deadtiger

Thanks for the help. I've pulled the motor and sent it to a rebuilld shop that is going to try and weld it. Does anyone know if there is a fix for the sprag clutch problems. While i've got things apart I'd like to take care of any other known problems. Thanks

Mudhen

No fixes that I've ever read about...you've got the bigger/better one already in the '98.

The alternator shaft, though...you could 'fix' that while it's apart...
\'96 Steamer

deadtiger

Thanks I've heard of the alternator problems but don't know the specifics. What needs to be replaced?