News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

steamer service questions.

Started by apache, November 30, 2005, 03:56:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

apache

I did a valve adjust when I got my 97 with 16.5K. I was 1th tight on 2 intakes. Im still unable to get a straight answer on adjustment intervals for real world use?? should it be every 6K or 12K. I dont run it hard IMO, mostly freeway at 65 to 75 crusin, and very rarely rev past 7K.

Also It looks like the stock air filter is pretty marginal. how long does it take typically to get to the point or needing cleaning or replacing it. I do see some dusty stuff but I started running a UNI sock unoiled over the end of the snorkel  as a prefilter. Seems to catch lots of dirt.

Thanks guys.

Scott.

TigerTrax

Scott...

I believe 12K is the number .... but my '98 hasn't been done in 52,000!

Runs great .... go figure!

Like you.... I run fast and long .... but don't beat it.

The airbox is supposed to be good for 25,000 miles..... so why do I change mine at about 10,000 ? Who cares   ... I just do.

Most guys will say change your oil every 2500 -3000 miles; I go a minimum of 5000 miles. Now I am running Rotello 5/40 SYnthetic ...

I can go more I am certain.... but I'll change it at 5000 miles.
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

apache

Thanks for the info, Im gonna change to Rotella syn  or Delvac 1 synthetic in everything, depends on what I can find locally and easily. Regarding the air filter do you replace just the element? I was told the entire airbox is the norm? ane Wow, some 50K without even a check up on the valves? thats pushing it for me even.

Mudhen

Quote from: "apache"Regarding the air filter do you replace just the element? I was told the entire airbox is the norm?

There is no element for the Steamer airbox...from Triumph, anyway.  My bike had a K&N when I got it, but the airbox is now all cracked around the screws that hold it together (which sounds common).

I bought a new airbox/element to put in on my 24k service (so far I've chickened out of removing the carbs/airbox, though) - I'll try to delicately put the K&N into it this winter when I work up the courage to dig into it.
\'96 Steamer

BR

My '98 had the valves adjusted around 15K and then again by me at 29K... I have collected a lot shims so I adjusted about half the valves just because I could.  New airbox ($65) has been installed as the old one was a bit grimy and I could find no evidence of it having been replaced before (Mudhen: pulling carbs and the airbox is no big deal).  Btw, I'm running Amsoil 10w-40 Full Synth MC oil with a Triumph filter.

Brendan

'98 BRG Tiger