News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

I cut my balls off this morning...is that bad?

Started by Mudhen, December 08, 2005, 07:56:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudhen

Well...my stupid handguards (which I had to finagle A LOT because of the long levers in the first place) got bent in a little and wouldn't fit anymore without catching on them.  My front brake even locked on at one point...

So I chopped them off.  I don't know that my hands ever get that far out on the levers anyway...but what do you think - is there something I'm missing - am I going to die a horrible death?
\'96 Steamer

MARKC

Oh my God. !!!!!!

The hand guards are vital to the aerodynamics of the bike.You will find your fuel consumtion will go through the roof. They also direct air onto the radiators so you will overheat and end up with a warped cylinder head, and leaks everywhere.

You will never be able to go on Tiger ride outs as other Tiger pilots will point and snigger at your outrageous non conformity.

Your self esteem will plummet and you will end up only riding on dark nights and being strangely attracted to BMW GS's

You wont be able to give the bike away when you come to sell or part ex

Apart from that I cant see any problems :D

MARKC

Wait a minute.

Is it the hand guards or the end of your brake lever you have chopped off.?

If its the brake lever ignore my previous post as none of it applies (apart from the horrible death bit) :)

Mudhen

:lol:  ya...I meant the balls on the ends of the levers.  Probably doesn't matter since my hands would hit the handguards before falling off the levers, anyway.

I rode the bike to work yesterday for the first time with no handguards...my hands froze!  Even with electric glove liners and heated grips on high.  I can't believe the Acerbis rally guards block that much wind...but maybe it just knocks it out of the way some...
\'96 Steamer

whoa

The balls on the end of the levers also provide protection when you crash.  They will keep the lever from penetrating whatever body part lands on them with force.

Think I'd spend the $20 or so and purchase new levers.  Just in case.

apache

Yeah but the balls act like barbs in the body. If its a clean tapered lever end just slide it out and plug hole with chewin gum or wad of duct tape. Much less painful then yanking ball out. Regarding the others, bet removal of them would have saved you a lot of greif in the younger days,least then you could be sure which head was doin the thinking,sure works on the horses.

Mudhen

Quote from: "apache"Yeah but the balls act like barbs in the body. If its a clean tapered lever end just slide it out and plug hole with chewin gum or wad of duct tape. Much less painful then yanking ball out. Regarding the others, bet removal of them would have saved you a lot of greif in the younger days,least then you could be sure which head was doin the thinking,sure works on the horses.

I think the handguards themselves will block me from being able to be impaled on them.  Think, is the operative word.  I may look into the Kawasaki ones that supposedly fit.

Now...regarding the others...here's what my littlest one thinks about that:

\'96 Steamer

TigerTrax

That's a bit drastic don't ya think?

After all .... without yer balls yer pinky will slip off the end!

Without yer balls .... you'll feel a bit timid in the presence of the better looking species!

And when you tell someone you cut yer balls off ..... they might say, " You dumb bloke .... why not just get some Kawasaki levers that are adjustable!  You can have your balls and get a good grip too!"
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

Mudhen

Quote from: "TigerTrax"That's a bit drastic don't ya think?

After all .... without yer balls yer pinky will slip off the end!

Without yer balls .... you'll feel a bit timid in the presence of the better looking species!

And when you tell someone you cut yer balls off ..... they might say, " You dumb bloke .... why not just get some Kawasaki levers that are adjustable!  You can have your balls and get a good grip too!"

:smt042

I just got home from the 'Seacoast Rat' holiday gathering...and what a difference those handguards make!  19f out right now and my hands were fine...won't go without those again.

Anyone know what Kawasaki ones fit?
\'96 Steamer

Sorry to burst your bubble but.....if you keep the bike long enough to require an MOT it will fail because the balls are a "safety" feature and are required.  So it's some new levers for you then.

If you go to a decent off-road shop, there are shorter levers available WITH balls at the end. I bought some for a XR250 years ago.

iansoady

Quote from: BlacktigerSorry to burst your bubble but.....if you keep the bike long enough to require an MOT it will fail because the balls are a "safety" feature and are required.  

Since when? They are required by the ACU when scrutineering for various sports but where would that put all the vintage and pre-war bikes that never had balls (IYGMD)? Like my Model 18?
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Mudhen

MOT, as in, MOT the Hoople?

I don't think my local bike shop would know to look for that...maybe.  I wish something like this would work...fits in with that whole 'red' theme I've got going:

Doing some searching here it looks like it's only the Kawasaki brake lever that works (off the ZX-11).  So this would work - but they still look huge (and too funky for me):

These look awesome...I may try them:

\'96 Steamer

Quote from: "iansoady"Since when? They are required by the ACU when scrutineering for various sports but where would that put all the vintage and pre-war bikes that never had balls (IYGMD)? Like my Model 18?

Since bloody ages ago. But, it's probably an age related issue like indicators (anything post 1986 requires indicators to be fitted and working unless the vehicle is built to carry one person only) but that's another post completely.

Chris Canning

BT

Your barking up the wrong tree mate,if you look at Mudhens address!!!! but it ain't the Exeter we know it's a copy!!!! so an MOT wouldn't mean to much to him,although MOT the Hoople was funny!!!!!

TigerTrax

I believe the ZX-11 levers are the ones. MAke certain you check brake and clutch.... bithe are KAW compatible .... but maybe from different bikes.
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'