News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

British Newbie

Started by Bob Burnett, December 09, 2005, 01:50:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Burnett

Hello folks,

Came across your forum whilst trying to find a picture of the new (alledged tiger) in MCN which a friend had mentioned on another board (hi Chris).

So a brief history have been a long time BMW rider my last was a R1100 S bought new in 2000.

Recently changed my job so I decided to buy a winter bike and purchased a 2000 Tiger which by a really strange fluke was registered on exactly the same day as my R1100S so I took that as an omen of good luck.

Well the long and the short was that I just loved riding the Tiger so much that when I went to buy a new set of rear pads for the 2000 model my local dealer said hey go try our 2006 model............................................................. bad idea I traded the 2000 Tiger & the 2000 BMW and walked out of the door with a 2006 model Tiger and a few hundred quid in my pocket.

The first Tiger had Tourance Tyres the new one has Anakee, not really sure about the Anakee not as confidence inspiring any comments?

Bob
2006 Black Tiger

Bling Bling If it\'s Stainless Steel Polish it, If it,s not then replace it

Aussie Tiger

Welcome to the "Jungle".  What colour did you opt for?  I'm not surprised that you traded up.  I too found that the 06 was that much better than the previous models.  Initially was going for an 04 but our first child came along!  Then tried for an 05 but guess what, outa stock!  Oh well I guess an 06 will have to do, and very glad too!

I have found that the Anakee's are pretty good.  They are great in the dry where I have been able to comfortably lean all the way over to the tread edge at 120 kph+.  They seem to be long wearing too with hardly any sign of tread wear over the 3500 klm's i've clocked up.  However, I wouldn't go too hard in the wet.  I do find that if you lean a little too far on a wet road there's a bit of twitching from the rear and some sliding from the front.  Having said that, one should be taking it easy in the wet anyway!  I haven't done much travelling off road, but on good to average dirt roads they suit me fine.  On really soft soil or gravel they tend to slip all over the place but with a bike this size and weight you'll get that.  I have heard that putting on some dedicated off road tyres for this kind of terrain works well.

At the end of the day, ride for the conditions and you'll be grinning from ear to ear with every ride on the Tiger! ENJOY!
2006 Caspian Blue Tiger

Never regret growing old...Its a privilege not afforded to many!

bosun

hi,

another british noob here  :)

the tiger is my third triumph, having had a tbird, then a sprint st.

it's a new, black, 06 model & i bought it in october.

having done 1300 miles on it so far, including a decent run to belgium, my first impressions are....

for my build (6'4 & 18 stone) it's much comfier than the st.

much better for carrying a pillion.

it's fun & makes me grin every time i ride it.

i feel more confident on it in the wet.

downsides are..

screen noise... my mp3 player has sorted that  8)

poor backlight on the speedo... i'll have to eat more carrots  :D

really annoying engine surge, normally at 30 mph. bit stumped with that problem  :shock:  

overall, it's a great bike.  :D

iansoady

Quote from: bosunreally annoying engine surge, normally at 30 mph. bit stumped with that problem  :shock:  

overall, it's a great bike.  :D

Welcome bosun - if you search this site and triumphrat.net you'll find loads of stuff about surging and wind noise / buffetting. Just don't mention them again (I did once but I think I got away with it.......)
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Chris Canning

Hi Bob

I was starting to wonder were you'd got to!!!!

For the surging War and Piece has been written on it, try an O2 sensor,available from any Dynojet Power Commander supplier,or if you live in the Midlands i can loan you mine.

Oops sorry see you live some distance,try PDQ their less than 20 quid so it's no great loss if you don't like it.

BP_LONDON

Congrats on the new Tiger....it's an awesome bike. One thing i can strongly reccomend is to dump those slippery POS anakees and get Tourances. I had anakees on my v-strom and I was slipping and sliding all over the place. I got some tourances put on again and now the grip and control is back to normal.

Barry Hughes

Bob

Congratulations on the Tiger, this is my 5th ÎBloorÌ Triumph, 3 Tridents, and 1 Sprint previously.

I run Anakees and commute 75 miles a day and they are due for changing now (7650 miles).

Good all round tyre, no twitching and good in the wet.

Just make sure the tyre pressures are checked regularly.

Enjoy.
Barry

\"The sum total of all your mistakes equals experience\"

Frank.B

Another useful site for your 02 sensor and other Tiger goodies is http://www.triumphtiger-online.co.uk/

Frank.
\"greetings to you....friends of peace\"

NortonCharlie

It seems to me that alot of people are doing away with their O2 sensors without good cause.  I understand that you get some surging from the O2 sensor needing to overcompensate the fuel trim.  I think that is why the Triumph tool sets the long tern fuel trim.  The ECU records compensation values from the O2 sensor while riding and setting the long term fuel trim tries to balance it back to zero.  This allows your bike to be set for a baseline air pressure for your location.  If you mostly ride around sea level then at the 1st service hook up the Triumph datatool set the long term fuel trim and then your O2 sensor only has to make minor adjustments, then go into the mountains say 8000 ft, now the O2 sensor has to make major adjustments and you may notice a little serging again.  I personally think the O2 senser is a good thing otherwise your mixture will change rather dramatically with changes in conditions.  

There is a barametric pressure sensor that roughs in the mixture for pressure changes but nothing beats an O2 sensor.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

greg

Hello to the two newbies, have a poke around the site, if it's been said about a Tiger it's been said here.
2004 Girly.