News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Should I Buy?

Started by Phill Guest, December 24, 2005, 01:12:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phill Guest

:roll:

Hi all, " Happy Christmas".

Bit of advice please, Im thinking of buying a new Tiger straight after Christmas, what modifications are worth considering?

How does it perform on road compared to KTM etc?

malc

I traded a 1150R BMW for an 06 tiger in september & have no regrets@ all look here for advice before I bought.

http://www.triumph-tiger.com/phpBB2/vie ... highlight=

Ive now done 1200m on her now &she,s getting better every ride all Ive fitted extra are a set of tourtech engine bars & a non adjustable mro screen which works great for me its 2inch taller than standard & works better for me.

Ive got my old top box fitted (givi) so no problem there & thats it I just ride & enjoy.

Some people say that the gel seat is a must but Ive not had any bother with the standard so Ill leave that one up to you Ive also bought 2 std triumph relays so I now have both lights working instead of 1.

There is a guy in the motorcycle sport & leisure magazine that has one on long term & he is loving it.

I sent him an email asking him how he liked it if you want to know his reply Ill pm it too you if you want.

cheers Malc

P.S Ive no regrets @ all
its grrreaaattttttttt

malc

Here is another thread I posted before I bought the bike on the triumphrat forum & some very interesting replies

http://triumphrat.net/modules.php?op=mo ... 7&forum=26

Im now 1030 miles in & loving it I must admit that after the first 200 I was thinking what the hell have I done I want my R back but I stuck with it & after 500 Ive changed round totally I love it its great & now the weathers turning a bit over here its just getting to make more sence.

There are some pics of the black beauty on my web link @ the bottom of the page so ave a look.
its grrreaaattttttttt

Chris Canning

Hi Phil

You didn't say which model you were looking at??,an early one(Steamer)pre 99,900i(885)pre 2001,955(2001-2004) or a 2005/2006 with mag wheels and steeper head angle.

The mods are pretty basic,open can,extra tooth on the engine sprocket,thicker oil and stiffer springs in the front forks certainley on 900i and the 2001/2004 955's and maybe a K+N,there are other things you can do,but unless the intend to ride it really hard,those are more than good enough.

Chris

TigerNZ

I have a 2004 Tiger and I just love it.  It is standard stock and my recommendation is to buy a Tiger and ride it for a while before spending money on things you may not need.   Mine has no modifications and it can do everything I demand of it with ease.  Hope this helps.
Kiwis can fly on a Tiger!

Phill Guest

Thanks for the advice,

Im looking at a brand new 06, but do intend to ride it hard so performance is fairly important, if you change the front sprocket do you need to alter the chain length, what difference does it really make?

How much of a change ( other than noise) is the race can and a k&N going to make?

Cheers for the advice.

Chris Canning

If your looking at an 06 you'll have to wait for one of the guys who have one to put their two peneeth in,although a lot of people moan about the clunk that the later forks make.

As for the gearing most people in stock trim are always searching for that extra gear when in top,put a 19 tooth sprocket is a 10 minute job just ajust the chain accordingly,with an open pipe and a K+N helps to pull the extra tooth even better,i'd say the extra tooth is worth the best part of 500 revs,although i'd wait till you've got a few miles on the motor and it's loosened up,i don't think mine really showed how good it was till it had done over 8000 miles.

Bob Burnett

I put a 19 tooth gearbox sprocket on mine at 500 miles a bit early I know but it works just fine and as Chris C stated it's probably worth about 500rpm.

No mods required just slacken the chain off and on she goes.

Bob
2006 Black Tiger

Bling Bling If it\'s Stainless Steel Polish it, If it,s not then replace it

Frank.B

I don't know much about KTM,s.  But as I have owned several BMW,s and Hinckley Triumphs I can Honestly say the Tiger is one bike that tends to Improve a lot and returns a greater fun factor as the owner personalise,s it.

I have added the usual improvements such as Scottoiler, heated grips etc, But I have also added and can recommend the 19t sprocket, Iridium plugs, 02 eliminator, K&N filter and Blueflame dualport race can.

I have also recently added a handlebar brace as well as bar raisers.

Future additions will probably be a taller screen and maybe GPS, and or stiffer suspension. All my additions and mods have Improved and personalised my Tiger no end. I love it.  Try www.triumphtigeronline.co.uk for ideas.

Frank.
\"greetings to you....friends of peace\"

Frank.B

\"greetings to you....friends of peace\"