News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Jump starting the Tiger

Started by carloseduv, February 13, 2006, 05:25:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carloseduv

Hi, I have a Tiger 06 and left the ignition in the Parking position by mistake. This is very easily done because it is so close to the locking wheels position. Too bad. Well, the next morning the battery was dead.

I got some help from someone who tried to jump start the Tiger with an external  battery, it didnt work and it was Sunday so I called the local dealer the next morning. I was told that I should not have attempted the jump start the bike because of the electronics of the Tiger. It did not, but could have damaged the alternator, and other circuitry.

Thanks for some comments on that.

PeterO

I've had to jump start my '05 twice (for exaclty the reason you gave)...

No harm done other than the anoying "engine wraning lamp" showing for a few days after the first jump start.   The second time it was from a diesel car and I let the battery get a bit of charge before trying to start the bike (which it did first press).

Peter

TigerTrax

Get yourself a battery tender and hook the battery external lead so the pigtail hangs out..... next time ...... just hook in your Battery Tender....
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

kevm

The MIL light comes on because the battery is flat, not because you tried to jump it; it's a low voltage warning.  As long as you switch off your ignition, connect the leads to your battery, connect to the car (but don't start the car), switch on the bike and start, I can't see what the problem would be ..

PeterO

Quote from: "kevm"The MIL light comes on because the battery is flat,

When I got fed up with the warning light I eventually took the bike to local dealer who reset the FIVE faults it had recorded, so it wasn't just the flat battery !

Peter

Nimrod11

Old topic but I think it may be worth posting my experience.

Yesterday I wanted to go for a ride but the bike wouldn't start. A few crancks and dead.  :cry: It was only a week since I had used it and was surprised the battery was dead. I'm getting suspicious of this battery...

Anyway, I never even thought twice. Got my jump start cables, started the car up, with the bike ignition off, I connected the cables (first ground, then positive), trying not to create sparks - just one quick movement with the clamps. Turned on the ignition and started the bike very easily. Disconnected positive, then ground.

All was fine, no warning lights or anything. Bike rode well.

I don't want to suggest that this is OK to do, juts wanted to share my experience. I would love to hear from anyone if this is really a problem.
----------
Tiger 2004

Mustang

Quote from: "Nimrod11"I don't want to suggest that this is OK to do, juts wanted to share my experience. I would love to hear from anyone if this is really a problem.
No problems using a car to jumpstart , but I have seen 1st hand ECU's get fried when jumpstarting with the car running , too much amperage from the car alternator is the culprit .
next time leave the car off . It will have plenty of juice to jump the bike . you got lucky . :shock:

Bixxer Bob

I watched a recovery truck guy start my friend's bike with a flat battery, but to be fair it wasn't completely dead - the lights came on, just, but it wouldn't turn over.  What he did next was what he described as being the safest approach.  He hooked up the ground jump lead to the battery ground, turned the ignition on, then touched the live jump lead to the terminal of the starter motor.  Puts the juice straight to where it's needed and lets the ignition get it's power from the weak battery.  Fired up right away with no risk to the ECU!!
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

HockleyBoy

I have had a recovery man jump start my bike (after leaving it in park for the day) and it dosen't seem to have suffered any ill effects.
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

Tom Herold

I have a battery tender on all my bikes. The pig tail coming off the battery has a fuse and the end is an SAE connector. The tenders came with two different ends; one that plugs into the SAE connector and charges/maintains the battery, and the other is a set of jumper connections.

Straight shot to the battery and fused for protection.

When my stator and R/R were going bad, the bike died a mile from my house. My wife rode her Yamah over, we used her battery tender connection and jumpers connected to the Tiger's jumpers to get juice to the starter.

As far as using a car battery, it's strongly suggested to leave the car turned off and just use straight battery power.
1999 Triumph Trophy 1200
2002 Triumph Sprint ST
2005 Triumph Tiger

"When people believe you to be the fool, why open your mouth and remove all doubt....??"
Gen. George S. Patton