News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Steamer exhaust done finally.

Started by apache, April 01, 2006, 04:59:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

apache

Thought Id post my gains from my 97`s mods. As mentioned I was having my friend build a set of slip on type cans for the 97. I finally had it done this week. Made of 1.5" stainless tube run from the original crossover and run up to a pair of stock length aluminum cans with 1.5" outlets. We also removed restrictors from crossover section or the exhaust which alone did some good.

I also previously did some jetting mods also which made it a bit to rich with the stock mufflers.

I picked up a jet kit and used the 112 mains, did not drill the slides, set the idle mix screws at 2 out and the needles are at the middle clip groove. Installed also a new air filter.

As previously noted it wouldent pull past 7K or 95 mph at about 1000 elevation.

The mods gained huge midrange and top end gains. RPM`s will pull to redline easly and top end speeds still to be found. Im currently limited by the TKC`s and a 95 mph or so speed rating.

I tried a run with out the right airbox cap off and still way to lean for that, so theres more to be had if one wanted to pull the carbs again and up the mains and probably drop the clips another slot or two.

Im happy with the results so its done for now. Gotta admit the sound of a triple sure is different :D

Mudhen

:postpics

I didn't realize there were restrictors in the crossover...time to rip it down, I guess.

Does it sound like this?

http://mudhen.smugmug.com/photos/33140717-O.mpg
\'96 Steamer

apache

Yep, I need to figure out how to do pics for ya. The gizmos in the exhaust can be best explained by describing them as a very small honeycombed insert thats in a tube type sleeve thats about 4" long. There held in place by a small dimple in the pipe that can be heated red hot and eaisly beat out with a metal pipe or bar from the head side. Initally we thought there were cat converters but I dont think 97 had em. I think there noise supressors of sorts. I ran the bike both ways and it was a bit louder without them as expected.