News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

where did my mileage go??

Started by apache, April 18, 2006, 07:09:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

apache

As perviously posted on my 97 I had slipons made,removed the corks in the cross over section, upped the mains to 112`s needles and pilots are the same as prior, put in a new air filter, and added TKC`s. runs like a banshee now, smooth and crispy. Now im getting 30 mpg crusing at 65/70 mph, used to get 38+. I find it hard to believe upping the main 2 sizes did this? I never noticed the TKC`s causing mileage loss on another bike. What happened??

I dont need another gas hog :roll:

davensocal

It would have to be incomplete burn, wouldn't it?  

Not sure if the plugs would show it...  You may notice the pipe residue being a little bit "wetter".  

Probably need to get a friend who works at a smog shop, or put it on a dyno to know for sure...  

Borrowing from 2-stroke theory, would it make sense that after relieving all the constrictions, you are now getting more air and more fuel into the cylinder?  So, let's say it is 15% more "fresh" material in the cylinder.  You now have to figure out how to burn that 15% extra in the same amount of time.   Asssuming the same fuel, etc, how would that happen?  

If the dyno and smog shop are out of the question, maybe start checking the plugs and consider dropping the mains back down.  you could possibly drop the needle a little lower, but that could be a tuning nightmare.

Good luck.

apache

I was hoping someone could tell me where the stock needle clips are/were on the Mikuni carbs. Regarding the pipes their considerably cleaner then before I started all this. It used to bug me that they were so sooty after a long easy 65mph cruise. It definally runnig leaner than before. I eve tried removing the other air box cap but still to lean past about 1/4 throttle roll ons. I bet if I fattened this thing up to run with pods or both A box caps off it would pull 2-3 gear wheelies with just a roll on but would get about 20 mpg if that. I still hate electronic fuel injection and computers but I suppose I can see some light at the end of the tunnel :oops: