News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

new to me tiger

Started by erwinvw, May 08, 2006, 02:08:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

erwinvw

Hi everyone.

Canadian Tiger owner here...

Just bought a 2000 model with 39,000km on the clock..

It was very well maintained and I have a copy of all records from the original owner..

When cared for, how much should I expect to get out of it ,,, and

also I find the engine to be a tad noisy mechanically. The owner says it's kind of the way it is with that 885 engine.

It runs strong and has no glithces yet....

Mind you its the newest bike i've owned to date.

I have found the windscreen problem though!! I have both the tall and factory one. The shorter one seems to help with buffetting of my head, but I still need ear plugs for wind noise...

Happy to be on the forum...

Erwin

Mudhen

Does it have the crankcase breather mod done yet?

:wink:

Welcome aboard and congrats on the new bike!

Pat
\'96 Steamer

erwinvw

Thanks.

Don't know about the mod you speak of,,, just kind of finding my around the bike and reading the shop manual.

What does it involve and what does it do for me.

Also, should I find it to be a noisy motor,, sounds like the valve train is falling apart, until you rev it out..

Mudhen

Some 885i's have blown up after being dropped.  The crankcase breather can pump oil into the airbox, which then empties into cylinder 1.

The mod is just to get a longer length of hose and route it from one side to the other before going into the airbox.  There should be lots in the archives about it.

(this is my pet peeve...I hate hearing about these bikes blowing up when a simple $5 piece of hose could prevent it)

My motor is perfectly quiet...I have heard others say they have noisy ones, though.
\'96 Steamer

TigerTrax

If your engine is noisey - sounds like little pebbles rattling around - at idle and very low speed/disappears at road speed .... you may have DAR.

Let engine idle and use a long screwdriver to listen to the alternator.

Simply put the metal tip on the housing and the handle end to your ear..

if it sounds very 'rattling' .... you may very well have DAR. Shut it down.. you have work to do. ( PS. ask previous owner how long it has done that; Ask if they have ever had a DAR problem.

This is a common and can be VERY expensive repair if it ruins your alternator.

This is NOT something to delay in ascertaining and repairing.

DO NOT remove anything until you KNOW exactly WHAT you are going to do AND have the parts in hand. This is critical.

On the BIG Tiger message board ( yahoo groups Triumph Tiger ) do a search on  'DAR'  ( Damned Alternator Rattle ) there is plenty to study.  But more than likely you'll be replacing the alternator shaft ... but there is a 'technique' on how to do it without dropping parts in your gearbox!
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

3Rider

Hello again ervinvw,

Re: breather tube issue, the dealership that inspected my '99 immediately offered to upgrade the part (see other archived posts) as a recall item at no cost to me. (It turned out that mine had already been done.) So if on the off-chance it hasn't been done on yours, you shouldn't have any trouble getting Triumph Canada to foot the (probably minimal) cost.

BWT, my engine makes no strange noises at idle. Just the usual background whirring of this unusual powerplant.

- Rob
...fearful symmetri

Mudhen

Quote from: "3Rider"Hello again ervinvw,

Re: breather tube issue, the dealership that inspected my '99 immediately offered to upgrade the part (see other archived posts) as a recall item at no cost to me. (It turned out that mine had already been done.) So if on the off-chance it hasn't been done on yours, you shouldn't have any trouble getting Triumph Canada to foot the (probably minimal) cost.

- Rob

:shock:

Is that an admission of guilt???

:smt023
\'96 Steamer

jp4evr

Quote from: "3Rider"Hello again ervinvw,

BWT, my engine makes no strange noises at idle. Just the usual background whirring of this unusual powerplant.

- Rob

I like this as well... very intersting.  when i get my fuel connectors replaced..... which is another Mod you should think of (metal for plastic) I'll talk to them about the breather tube.  

Honestly it's very easy, just a PITA.  We all know how much of a pain it is to pull the EFI tank.

I should take a moment to listen to my alternator as well.... just not looking forward to any problems...  Probably the same reason I ignore my aching knees and don't go to the doctor.... you are bound to find something wrong.
2000 TIGER - Current - finally....

2000 TT600 - now my wife\'s ring

1997 CBR 600F2 - sold

1998 Suzuki - Bottom of ravine - Oops!

erwinvw

Thanks Tigertrax....

Just stuck a phillips head in my ear and ruptured my ear drum!!!:)

Anyway, I idled the bike and used the screw driver diagnostic tool,, and I placed it right on the end of the housing that protrudes the most.

Heard noise alright, kind of like rattling, but it could just be the mechanics of it all? Not really sure.

I'll have a buddy mechanic of mine use those doctor like tool to listen to it.

I have a manual ,, is it simple enough to follow it to remove the alternator myself?

erwinvw

Also,, might attempt the crank tube re-route tonight.... which side of the motor does it come out of and what size and length of tube should I use.

Just black rubber breather hose?

jp4evr

Quote from: "erwinvw"Also,, might attempt the crank tube re-route tonight.... which side of the motor does it come out of and what size and length of tube should I use.

Just black rubber breather hose?

Comes from the bottom left and routes up into the airbox.  There are a couple of theories on this.  

1) Get a longer hose.... sorry, let me back up.  

1) First take of your gas tank (have fun  :shock: )

2) Same diameter hose (*auto grade is fine) and much longer to route back and forth across the top and then back into the airbox.  This will in effect help prevent the direct line to the airbox and trap the oil in the line.

or.... and i kinda like this one....

1) Two separate lines are used.  One has a filter on the end to feed the airbox like the stock line.

2) Line from the crankcase actually gets routed to the side of the bike and a clear PVC type container that collects oil and when it gets full you just empty it.  That way you never have to worry about if the bike tips over.  You can then just recycle the oil back to the bike - and also see how much your "using."  

remember - have fun.  If you only get the tank off in one night - don't feel bad.  I loved this project and I only had two screws left over when I was done.... . :lol:
2000 TIGER - Current - finally....

2000 TT600 - now my wife\'s ring

1997 CBR 600F2 - sold

1998 Suzuki - Bottom of ravine - Oops!

erwinvw

Just picked up my mail.

Parts arrived for DAR fix if I need them when I check it.

I have the new spline, bearing retaining bolts and washers and alternator o-ring.

SO can anyone tell me exactly what it is that breaks?

Am I correct in thinking it's the bolt that runs through the spline. or is it the little bearing retaining bolts or the spline itself.

I likely don;t need the parts but figured for the 150 bucks it was worth having them when I have it apart just in case.