News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

High mileage Tigers check in and how many miles is too much.

Started by georover1, May 16, 2006, 06:59:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

georover1

This post is for a couple reasons.  1. I'm curious as to how many of you are riding higher mileage tigers and when do you start to question reliability and, 2. My '99 has 48,000 and runs great  and I keep her well maintained but  I'm wondering how many more miles I can expect from her. I'm planning another 10k to 15k summer. I'm starting to toy with the idea of a newer lower mileage bike (Tiger of course).
Mmmmmm......Beer

\'99 Tiger,

Brother Number One

My 04 had 16300 on it when I got it, now up to about 20300, no probs.

I took a 92 Trophy12 from 0 to 70000 with no sign of wear on cams, etc, but godawful ignition fault.  Totally different engine, of course.

My own preference is to keep riding the same bike, pile the miles on, and measure depreciation in pennies per mile, not pounds per year.  :D
2015-16 USA & C.America: http://sawthingsclearer.com (click it, click it, click iiiit) 04 silver Tiger, Touratech Zega panniers, CCC titanium can, NWS hugger

TigerTrax

My '98 Tramp Steamer had about 52,000 when I traded it in...

1- DAR problem at 40,000

Today it runs like a screaming eagle.
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

tiger feet

I seem to remember that a few years ago the factory stripped a carb engined bike down at about 100,000miles and found no real signs of wear so they reassembled it and sent it on it's way.

The key to long engine life is regular oil changes and servicing and keeping an eye on things generally.

Triples should fair well as they have some natural balance to the engine.

The bikes are good and the engines well built, if anything the early ones are over engineered, they had to be as the reputation of the old Triumphs had to be put to rest.

Regards,

Tiger Feet.
Four wheels good, two wheels better, three wheels accident!

Brother Number One

I agree.  Mobil 1, all the way.
2015-16 USA & C.America: http://sawthingsclearer.com (click it, click it, click iiiit) 04 silver Tiger, Touratech Zega panniers, CCC titanium can, NWS hugger

Mudhen

I was emailing with a local LD guy that had a Steamer (forget what year now)...sold it to his daughter with over 100k on it...and she's been using it for years.  He wasn't sure of the exact mileage, but said it has 'well over 100k now'.
\'96 Steamer

eLo

My -99 inj. has now covered some 71000kms on Scandinavian soil with a minimum of problems. Not once have I been left standing by the roadside, but as some of you have pointed out; servicing is important. I•ve replaced a few items on my chassis, but all the electrical components are stock.

Like som of you, ' have also considered a change for a newer model. But concidering the pricelevel here in Norway (a new Tiger is 21ooo Euro/33000 dollars...) I•ve found it wise to upgrade my bike and rather spend my money on travelling.

Eager to hear more about long-running injection models (we already have a couple of longrunning Steamers in our group; the Triumph Tiger club of Scandinavia)

Foxy

44,000 miles ish on my 99. Pretty sure I'll still be keeping it a while - the only time it's left me stranded was with a dead battery, and that was only as long as it took me to bump start it and ride to a bike shop for a new battery. The only major worry it's given me was the oil pressure switch going tits up last year, but that turned out to be about £20 for the dealer to fix.

There's no reason it shouldn't go on a lot longer, tbh. Even the injection models are hardly under engineered compared to the T300/400 engines, and have benefitted from several years more development.

IIRC Triumph found a Trident 900 in about 1994 that had covered 250,000 miles with only normal service items being replaced. They took it back off the owner (no prizes for guessing what he did for a living) and gave him a new Daytona 900 in exchange.

ghostbiker955i

2005 tiger with 22000 miles on it so far. Gunna be the big 24k service soon, thats gunna hurt as i need new tyres, front + rear pads and chain + sprockets to. also gunna throw on a blueflame exhaust.

Bye Bye a good 700-1000 quid
If it aint broke, I aint touched it! .........Yet!

georover1

I guess i should mention that the only major item i've had to replace is the head gasket. But when I had the head off doing the gasket I was amazed to see cylinder walls with cross hatch that looked fresh.  I've also replaced the chain, sprokets, and battery but that is expected.
Mmmmmm......Beer

\'99 Tiger,

tigerowner_ut

24,500 miles and one cracked head replaced under waranty on my 99 Tiger.
Cheers,

David

99 Yellow Tiger: Triumph Exhaust, Heated Grips, Cee Bailey +6 Windscreen, Rick Mayer Saddle, Metzler Tourance Tires, Happy-Trail Panniers.

03 WR450 (lots of mods)

86 TT350 (the tank....Gone)

zombie

about 50 thousand on mine  not sure as my speedo is wonky and I can't be arsed to sort it out. I'm relentless on this thing and do track days on it and a lot of high speed bollocking about and some long distance thrown in.

It still runs flawlessly and altho I rarely if ever clean it I maintain it rigorously.

The only big change is dymag rims and suspension sorted out front and rear..

A totally cracking bike but ya all knew that anyway

I can claim 33500 miles on my '02 with just regular servicing. Still purring along.

gatling

Good to hear about all these high mileage Tigers.  I just got through the break-in period on mine and it is reassuring.  I love this bike and I plan on keeping it for a long while.

My riding buddy has a BMW K1200RS that just turned 100,000 miles.  He maintains it by the book, with the dealer doing all the work.  He told me last year that since it was new, he's spent $33,000 on it for maintenance (including tires), all PM stuff, never a breakdown.  That's a lot, IMHO.

My 92 HD Softail made it to about 48,000 when it lost a needle bearing in the roller lifters, parts migrated to the oil pump, and then it called it quits.  Had it rebuilt with S&S 96-inch components.  

The Harley is a real screamer (for a Harley), but it mostly sits in the garage while I ride the Tiger.

Gatling

www.motofoto.cc

2006 KLR 650

2006 Tiger

gatling

On this same topic, check out the mileage on this Lead Wing...

It's in kilometers, but wow!  The owner told me this bike is on its fourth engine.
Gatling

www.motofoto.cc

2006 KLR 650

2006 Tiger