News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Seat problems

Started by erwinvw, May 23, 2006, 04:41:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

erwinvw

Has anyone here had seat problems. Specifically the 4 little posts that the adjustable metal frame mounts to.

I'm 6'1 and have it on the tallest setting. Riding the other day and the side to side movement caused one peg to pop out of the hole in the frame, dropping that corner of the seat down....

Inspection found that all 4 posts in the seat, show signs of stress in the plastic molded part that holds them in.

They wiggle a bit,. I dont want them to break as I'm sure a replacement seat or new Corbin is $$$$ :shock:

I've tried short hair fiberglass to strengthen but fear it won;t last...

Any tips?

mikeG15

I'm 6'3" and found that the pins occasionally might come out of the holes at the highest setting.

The simple solution is to relieve the load on the plastic seat base by inserting 2 wooden strips approx 20nn thick between the steel adjuster frame and the seat unit, this also takes the load off the pins themselves.

These may be painted black to make them look more engineered and are held in place with 2  woodscrews each side through the adjuster frame holes.

The downside is that the seat can't be lowered unless the strips are removed.

erwinvw

thanks.

Any chance you could show me a pic. Before I attempt it I'd like to see it,,

Erwin

mikeG15

Sure - but I haven't a clue how to put pictures on the forum, if you put your e-mail address on your profile I'll send it that way.

3Rider

Hi Erwin & co.,

I have the same problem. If anyone can figure out how to post those images, I'd be grateful too. I worry one of those pins will pop out right in the middle of a corner.

Rob
...fearful symmetri

barjan

I guess it's a common problem. (maybe on some years, mine is '02)

I solved it (so far) by putting plastic rings between the pins and the subframe. The subframe doesn't open as much and fits better in the support (two hooks) on the frame. Because of the less travel on the pins it hasn't popped out yet while riding.

However, the pins are fine and not loose so that's no problem for me. I weigh (only?) 87 kg, so that's about 22 kg per pin.

i talked to another tigerowner and he has put tubes over the hooks on the frame, tightening the subframe. That doesn't solve the travel on the pins.

erwinvw

Thanks for the replies.

Tried the repair yesterday and seems to have worked. I only used pine and didnt bother painting the wood pieces.

Figured nobody sees under my seat that much!

Rode 200km today on some twisties and gravel and the seat did not budge, even side to side.

on to the next bit of tinkering!

Erwin