News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tubeless rims

Started by debilly, June 08, 2006, 11:36:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

debilly

I wrote to Big Dave last Sunday hoping for some information. Guess he is too busy...so I will ask the forum.

My husband has a 01 Tiger. I want to get him some good tubeless rims for his birth without his knowing...The bike came with spokes.

I am asking for suggestions on this purchase.  we both have looked around a bit but haven't came up with anything for sure yet.  Cost wise I see rims for over a grand...I am not opposed to spending the money, but I would very much like to hear from those that have tubeless rims, what they think, where they got them, how much, their experiences...etc...

I also ride, so I am not competely clueless about bikes...that is why I am asking. Our riding habits are that we enjoy touring at least twice a year as well as daily trips.

Can anyone give a lady a heads up...

All suggestions are welcome

Thank you

Debbie

wasions

My tubeless came with the bike. (Standard on the '06)  I like 'em, but I have no idea what they'd cost to replace.  I also have no idea what aftermarket options, if any, are available, but guessing they'll be rather rare.
Steve

Gear up!

<*}}}><

\'06 Tiger, \'99 DR350

BykBoy

What a great idea for a gift!

If I were to get tubeless rims, I would go with spoked tubeless rims as opposed to cast ones. If this is the direction you want to go,  talk to Woody at Woody's Wheel Works. I'm sure he will be able to help you out.

If you wnat cast wheels, you can check with Triumph and see if the cast wheels from the new models will fit his older model spoked Tiger. If they do, you can order a set from Triumph.
2001 Black 955i Tiger

Save $5 when you open a SmugMug account. Use the following coupon: 4l1hicJzWvYNE

Chris Canning

Well thats a funny one!!!,i've never shared this fetish for tubless wheels!!!,i've always found e'm just as easy to repair with the right kit.

BUT!! haveing had three sets of wheels on my Tiger,the first set were stock,i then bought a secondhand pair of hubs and had Supermotos rims laced on 17" front with a 51/2" rim on the back but were still with tubes,early this year sold them and bought a pair of Dymags, there's a difference but it's the light weight and quality not the fact their tubless.

As for the options,the easiest by far is a pair of Triumph wheels circa 05/06 there's been a pair on ebay recently,the cheaper option to buy a rear of ebay,i've seen several and buy a new front from a dealer,the third option is to go to hassle of haveing a pair of rims laced on like BM's GS but their made on a patent and it's a hassle getting them done.

tigerrob1090

hiya you wont believe this i was talking to a triumph mech this sat on this subject of swapping my spokes for cast mine an 03 i had seen some 05 wheels on e.bay  but he told me the front will fit ok  but the swing arm is not the same so the back wont ......check before you buy.... : :?:
tiger time not work time..........!

Brother Number One

I saw one of those Aprilia Caponhead things in a dealer's today and noticed they have tubeless wire wheels like the BMW.  I would swap my cast wheels for those, in an ideal world, as I tend to clang over potholes, somewhat.
2015-16 USA & C.America: http://sawthingsclearer.com (click it, click it, click iiiit) 04 silver Tiger, Touratech Zega panniers, CCC titanium can, NWS hugger

Jim S

I had a look at a steamer last weekend and can confirm the swingarm is different, instead of slides for adjusters it's got a large circular offset adjusters. I didn't notice the spindle diameter but did notice the caliper and hanger is different as well. I believe the disc might be different also. I'll have to do a bit of investigation. I would prefer to go down the wire wheel road instead of the stock alloys. I find them far too much work to clean and prefer the looks of the spokes.
04 Tiger and 97 Blade

Chris Canning

Hi Jim

You've lost me!!! with mention of a steamer were's that in the scheme of things?? as for cleaning thats one of the very reasons i paid out so much for my Dymags takes seconds to clean e'm as opposed to spoked wheels,god what a pain!!!!

Bruincounselor

I think Debbie is looking for Dymags:

http://www.oncycles.com/dymag_main.asp

I hope this helps her get what she (He?) wants.....
Bruin\'

Jim S

Hi Chris, Steamer? Ok, I was in at my local dealer, he has a steamer, it has spoked wheels, I looked and the swing arm is different, so is the caliper, now, I haven't seen an 03 Tiger to see if the Girly with spokes has the same swing arm as the 04 with alloys? But I did see a steamer! And it had spoked wheels. I was pointing out the older bikes with spoked wheels might not accept the newer alloys due to spindle size, caliper and brake disc. As I said, I'll investigate further, I would prefer spoked, the multiple spokes on stock alloys are a nightmare to clean, the three spoke Dymags would be far easier. But I prefer spoked rims.

Hope I've explained myself better this time!  :lol:
04 Tiger and 97 Blade

Chris Canning

Hi Jim

You haven't a prayer of getting anything off a Steamer to fit!!!,their a world away,the front wheel in particular as the post 99 have electric speedo's.

The 04 is the same as all the others before it,back to 99,it's only the 05's and 6's that have mag wheels,i'd be very suprised if a back wheel couldn't be made to fit an 99/04 Tiger.

As for Dymags on the Tiger are 7 spoke alloys,i use 5 spoke magnesium on my BM which are lighter but only marginally!!.