News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

YIKES...Thank God for walk around inspections!

Started by jmoonx14, June 11, 2006, 03:13:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmoonx14

I was just now looking my new Tiger over for anything out of sorts as I just wrapped up washing dead bugs off of it. Found a major problem that was rather easy to fix.

A large bolt on the plate that connects the frame to the engine was ready to fall out!  :x   It took about 1/8 of a turn and came right out by hand. It was the lowest one of the three on the triangular piece that is just below the seat on the left side as you are sitting on the bike. It is just on the inside of your left thigh as you ride.

135 miles into the break in is all I have on the bike so this must have been overlooked from the factory and at the dealer. Spooky!

I snugged it up without getting crazy with it as I do not know the torque specs for the bolt. I have a torque wrench but not sure of the needs of that bolt. If anyone knows it please share and I will do it right. I will be calling the dealer first thing Tuesday AM.

While I am on it...anyone have any common trouble spots to focus on with the '06 Tiger while doing the walk around?
~ Joel

\'06 Tiger 955i armed with Oly E-500 dSLR and Oly Mu 810

Patrick the Scot

Aren't torgue specs based on bolt shank diameter and thread pitch?  I know I'm out on the thin branches here, but maybe some cross reference table on the net will have the corresponding torque for that bolt.
"As far back as I can remember... I always wanted to be a gangster" - Good Fellas

Texas Tech Red Raiders - 2008 BIG IIX NCAAF CHAMPS

jmoonx14

Quote from: "Patrick the Scot"Aren't torgue specs based on bolt shank diameter and thread pitch?  I know I'm out on the thin branches here, but maybe some cross reference table on the net will have the corresponding torque for that bolt.

Thanks, Patrick. I will just talk to the dealer because I can see me screwing that up.

BTW, I come from big Hobbs, NM and I come thru your neck of the woods quite often on a visit home. I am sure to be thru there on the Tiger before long. I will PM you if I am gonna be around anywhere and maybe you can show me some good trails in the flat, yucca filled desert.
~ Joel

jmoonx14

Quote from: "toddtruby"http://www.triumphrat.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=Forum&file=viewtopic&topic=14041&forum=40

Awesome! I assume it is this one:

Engine Mounting bolts (Bracket to cylinder head) 30 nm/22.14 ftlb

Thanks!
~ Joel

toddtruby

If you want to send a picture of the bolt, I will be glad to look it up in the Shop Manual I have.

jmoonx14

Quote from: "toddtruby"If you want to send a picture of the bolt, I will be glad to look it up in the Shop Manual I have.

Here it is. I have torqued it to 22 FtLb.

~ Joel

jmoonx14

I talked to the dealer today. They were actually suprised and more concerned than I had expected. I've agreed to take it in tomorrow over lunch and they promised to check every major bolt. They weren't so concerend it seems about any damage having been done but more that the bike got in my hands with the bolt in this condition. They were cool about it and agreed to get me in with very short notice.
~ Joel