News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

ECU engine management warning light.

Started by Jim S, June 16, 2006, 07:39:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim S

Ok, bike back from service at local bike shop. Full service £248. I'm not complaining at that. The issue was while carrying out the service the guys disconnected the air flow meter and battery from the bike, when replaced the bike would show the EFI warning light on the dash.

When they contacted the Triumph dealer about this they were informed the bike had to be connected to the Triumph computer to put out the light and quoted them £80 to do it.

After numerous test rides the light went out. The bike now returned to me 100% ok. I'm not annoyed with my local bike shop but not happy about Triumph's dealers help to them.

I appreciate Triumph have to make money. The idea that you have to go to them for servicing due to this warning light issue is a bit of a marketing ploy. It stops DIY mechanics doing it themselves and non Triumph dealers from servicing 2nd hand Triumphs they have taken as trade ins. My gripe is Shirlaws motorcycles in Aberdeen, Scotland, the only Triumph dealer north of Perth, told Wullie Young motorcycles in Elgin "we make a lot of money from putting those lights out".

I want to point out to anyone here with a Triumph that shows an EFI warning light after servicing to run the bike through three "heat cycles" That means three runs up to normal running temperatures first and this should extinguish the light as no fault found. Obviously if the light continues then approach the Triumph dealership for advice. I am a lot happier now that I know this than I was yesterday listening to the moaning from the Bike shop owner and mechanic, they were worried the light would re-appear with me as they didn't know.

I hope this helps some of you guys out there in the future. I'll now be servicing the bike myself from here in! If any of you guys can prove my info wrong let's hear you. The end result is for all DIY mechanics on this forum to be able to service their own bikes and all info to assist in this is welcome.
04 Tiger and 97 Blade

iansoady

Quote from: "Jim S"The end result is for all DIY mechanics on this forum to be able to service their own bikes and all info to assist in this is welcome.

Absolutely. This forum and triumphrat.net are invaluable sources of (sometimes mis-)information and together with the workshop manual should enable most of us to do any job we need to.

BTW the manual costs less than £80 and tells you exactly what the 3 cycle thing is all about.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

PeterO

When the light camp on after I had to jump start my tiger (stoopid parking lights!) my dealer said either give it the 3 cycles or drop in and they would reset it as it only took 30 seconds to do.....

£80 for 30 seconds = £9600 per hour.  That's one hell of a rate !

Peter

tigerrob1090

Hiya  i.ve heard of these e.f.i light.s coming on some where on this forum its mentioned  if you turn the ignition key of and on about 6 xs it goes out try it ??????? hope this helps .......... :lol:
tiger time not work time..........!