News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Directional and hazard lights

Started by used2jeep, June 18, 2006, 11:28:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

used2jeep

Help requested.  Went out for a ride today and hit some pretty washboard roads.  Directionals and hazards now do not work.  

I push all four relays under the left side of the dash back in, no good, checked all fuses in the fuse box, all fuses were good (I even took out the 2 fuses to try the spares and no change), I reseated the relay next to the fuse box and no change.

Any ideas?  I was figuring maybe the flasher but a) I don't know where it is an b) if it was blown would the lights just not blink (ie. stay on steady)?

:evil:
AF&AM, AANOMS, IBA

Save $5 when you open a SmugMug account. Use the following coupon: R8d8tS3bmlzLw

apache

Typically a blinker unit is just a resistance switch. when powered it heats up and it opens and closes the contacts thus the blink. Yeah it sounds like thats the culpurit but I couldent tell you where it is. I have a 97 and thats a good question on it also. I think I saw one under the rear tail section in mine but Id have to check again.

tiger feet

I have had some intermittency issues with my directional indicators and hazard warning lights the last couple of weeks.

On a steamer the relay is behind the seat under the rear cover that's over the rear light unit.

Sorry can't help with the location on the later EFi models.

As for fault finding, it's easier when they are completely dead :!:

Start at the switch and work through the circuit, firstly cold (without power off) and if that doesn't help, then hot (with power on) you'll need a meter for the hot checks but a continuity tester/buzzer will do for cold checks.

Switch the ignition on an listen for the relay to see if it starts/tries to work.

It might be worth taking it out an giving it a sharp 'tap' on the side to remove any dirt that might be on the contacts.

I hope this helps you some :?:

Regards,

Tiger Feet.
Four wheels good, two wheels better, three wheels accident!

used2jeep

Hiya gang!  Good findings - it was the flasher/relay.  It is located behind the fairing in that bank of 4 relays (the third one down is it).  The relay next to the fuse box is for the starter motor.

TF - I did some of what you suggested - key and listen to various relays.

Now for the good part - Triumph seems to want $60+ for this sucker, well, CAP (Consumer Auto Parts - low end Napa) had a Stant unit for $13.  It works, even though my blinkers & hazards seem like they are on cocaine.  But I'm legal again.   :D
AF&AM, AANOMS, IBA

Save $5 when you open a SmugMug account. Use the following coupon: R8d8tS3bmlzLw