News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Very hot, won't start!

Started by Guest, June 19, 2006, 09:51:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Had a problem on Sunday, whilst waiting for the customs at Eurotunnel. The bike got very hot and we were waiting a long time so I turned the engine off. A minute later, the que moved and when I tried to start up, the engine wouldn't crank over. It was "like" a flat battery but deffinately wasn't the battery at fault. It was as if something seized up and prevented the starter to turn the engine.

I got it started by bumping it. And, later on (when I turned it off again because of a 15 minute wait for the train) after it had cooled for 10~15 minutes, it cranked & started like normal.

Anyone had this and know the reason?

ArizonaKid

This is only a guess, but perhaps this is a "feature" built in to the Tiger and other bikes(?).  If the engine overheats, there is a sensor and switch that "turns off" the power to the starter until the engine cools down. Once the temp falls below a certain temp the power is restored. . .  Sounds good, but who knows?
Arizona Kid

Riding hard and fast down Arizona way

2007 Triumph Tiger

Never heard of that one.

Thing is, it didn't actually overheat. It was sitting at idle for a long time and the temperature was at the "fan on" level for a long time. I'm guessing that the engine cases get extra hot in that situation and I'm wondering if a clearance in a bush or bearing somewhere closes up and prevents the starter from spinning the engine over.

NortonCharlie

Did it sound like the starter was trying to turn engine over or didn't even try to engage?

I don't think anything is siezing if you were able to bump start it.  If it didn't even try turning over I would suspect the clutch safety switch (though I don't see why that would be heat sensitive ) .

If it seemed like it was trying and couldn't turn, I would 1st suspect loose or dirty connections to the battery, starter or seleniod.  Heat increases resistance so being heat sensitive makes sense.  It could even be the starter though I havn't heard of this problem on a Triumph I have seen quite a few in cars and small trucks that lost power when hot.

Good luck, check clean and tighten all your easily accesable connections.  I hate intermittent problems because they always seem to work when trying to find them.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

Yeah! It seemed like the starter took half a turn then wouldn't/couldn't go any further.

The "something siezing" that I suspected would be in the starter area. Not the engine.

Good suggestion about the dodgy connections. Ta, I'll check them.

Astrobyker

Blacktiger,

What did it turn out to be?? I have the exact same problem on the '05 Tiger I bought recently.  I'm guessing it may have been the sprag clutch?

blacktiger

Quote from: "Astrobyker"Blacktiger,

What did it turn out to be?? I have the exact same problem on the '05 Tiger I bought recently.  I'm guessing it may have been the sprag clutch?

I have no idea, sorry.
It hasn't done it since but then I've made sure I'm not that tight any more that I want to turn the engine off to save an ounce of fuel. I now leave it running in long queues unless I know I'm stationary for several minutes.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Astrobyker

OK thanks.  I only noticed the problem because I had to take the keys out the ignition to open the garage when I got home from work, then it wouldn't crank properly to restart, sounded just like a flat battery. Left it half an hour and it was fine, would start with heated grips etc. all switched on.  I'm taking it back to the dealer on Saturday as it's still in warranty with them so we'll see if they can diagnose it.

Advwannabe

BT, mine has done this once or twice with the slight difference of mine not turning at all when it is hot. Wait a couple of minutes and it is fine. Like you I don't turn mine off now unless I know it will be stopped for a few minutes.

A quick hint for warm weather Tiger riders, in 40C or hotter tempertures out on the highway I don't just barrel into the servo after sitting on 120+ km/h. I generally drop my speed to 80-100 about five minutes out from stopping to give the motor a little breather while there is still ariflow over the radiator, then I never have the above issue.

Wouldn't mind finding out what it actually is though!
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180