News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Break-in Advice

Started by Eric, June 21, 2006, 07:28:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric

Thursday I pick up my new 06 Tiger (Black). Traded in an 06 Bonnie which I purchased in April but found after 3000 miles the Bonnie just didn't have the touring capabilities I wanted. The Bonnie I broke in by the book: no excessive speed, varried throttle, etc. and had it serviced at 500 miles. Several folks who seem to know bikes (but not necessarily Triumphs) have told me I worried too much about  babying it and to just drive like I normally would.

Advice from Tiger owners?

Anything to watch out for in the first 500-1000 miles?
Eric Walburgh

06 Tiger

Clemski

Like you did with the Bonnie, run it in by the book, it pays of in the long run. Mines 28 months old 28,000 miles on her, and for the first 500 miles I followed the running in period to the letter. Hope you enjoy your new Tiger :P
Just love riding my Tiger, anywhere and everywhere.

greg

I ran my in by the book but did notice around 7000 miles a very noticeable power increase, right through the rev range. Others have reported this too. Get those miles in quick just to see for yourself! My previous bike was a Thunderace, not exactly a slouch, I swear the Tiger is now just as rapid to 100mph.
2004 Girly.

wasions

I did a modified Motoman break-in, and got the big kick in the pants at around 3K.  Now at about 6200 miles and running strong.
Steve

Gear up!

<*}}}><

\'06 Tiger, \'99 DR350

geoff

My 2006 Tiger came with sticker on the tank with the following recommended rev limits..

0 - 100mls  3500rpm

100-300mls 5000rpm

300-600mls 6000rpm

600-800mls 7000rpm

800-1000mls 8000rpm

I guess if Triumph bother to put this on the tank they are doing their best to ensure riders follow the correct breakin procedure. I am certainly not going to ignore their recommendations and have managed to keep to the limits without any drama. My personal experience is that it is also a good idea to apply a reasonable amount of engine load for brief periods (within rev limits) followed by a longer period of engine braking and light load. In theory this should help bed in parts with the higher engine loading but minimise localised overheating were parts are not bedded in. Reasonable use of engine braking is also good to balance wear of all parts of the motor and gears.