News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Newbie, No Questions!

Started by tmh, June 22, 2006, 05:49:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmh

Hello, I'm new to this forum based on my new found interest in the Tigers.  Historical perspective on me is that I'm an old f@rt, who got back into riding last year after a 10 year hiatus after "the accident" (classic cut-off by left turning cager).

I returned to riding through my purchase of a 2000 BMW R1100RT-P (ex-CHP bike).  This has become my daily commuter in all weather (we don't get much ice/snow here) for the last year, and has served me very faithfully.  I've also "tried out" some other Beemers during this time:

1)  '98 BMW R1200C.  Was available locally at a rock bottom price, and I thought that it might make a good 2-up bike.  But turns out that I'm just not the "cruiser" type, and I couldn't get to liking the feel of that bike, so I sold it for what I paid for it in about a month.

2)  '03 BMW K1200GT.  This was an incredibly sexy (to me) bike in its looks and power, and I was hooked after the first test ride.  Also was acceptably large and powerful for 2-up touring.  Had that bike for about 6 months but never really got the ergos right for me.  Plus it ended up having too much power for my riding style, so I traded it in.

3)  '02 BMW R1150GS-Adventure.  This was my dream bike after having watched the Long Way Round series.  Ultimately I wanted to use it for a trip up the ALCAN highway.  But I took it into the dirt for the first time earlier this year, and ran out of talent very fast.  Guess you just can't jump directly from a 30#, one-human powered mountain bike to a 650# GS-ADV in one shot.  Due to this, and the fact that the SO specified that I would not be making the ALCAN trip alone (nor would it be acceptable for her to follow in the chase van), the ADV was not getting much use, and I recently sold her.

4)  '05 Husqvarna TE510.  When I bombed out trying to ride the GS in the dirt, I had a personal decision to make:  Give up on dirt, or get a more manageable bike, learn dirt skills, and translate those back to the bigger Adventure bikes.  I chose the latter when I found this new '05 Husky available locally, at a great price since we were already well into the '06 model year and riding season.  Boy, what a confidence inspiring bike!  I guess that being HALF the weight of the GS-ADV really makes the difference.  Boy is this bike fun, and out of the crate it has so many capabilities that I won't have to add anything to it for a long time, while my riding skills play catch-up to the bike.

5)  '02 BMW K1200LT.  When I decided that I did not like how the K-GT was "handling me" (as opposed to the other way around), I rode it to a local dealer who had a couple of used RT's available.  I much preferred the handling of the RT, and if I got one with a rear seat (my ex-CHP model has a radio box instead of a rear seat), then it could become the 2-up tourer.  Well I rode the 2 used bikes, and they were O.K.  But the salesman says that I might really like the K-LT and that I should give it a shot.  Boy was he right.  Previous owner was tall like me, and had set up the bike for a person of my height.  And how in heck did BMW make an 850# bike feel so light when you get past walking speed?  Handled much more like my RT-P, which is what I wanted, so my current 2-up bike is this LT.  My wife loves to ride on it, and actually asks me when we can go for our next ride!  And although she doesn't admit is, I think that she has actually fallen asleep back there...

So that brings my moto addiction to the present.  I have 3 bikes (the RT-P, the Husky and the K-LT), and I have just let my GS-ADV go to its new owner.  I'm feeling a little empty from the ADV sale, so I start looking for a 'tweener:  Something between the weight and capabilities of the Husky and the BMW street bikes, lighter than the GS-ADV which I couldn't handle well off road, but which would still allow proceeding when the paved road ended.  Something like a V-Strom, or maybe this little Tiger I have been hearing a little about.

Well, I had test ridden a DL1000 Strom last year, just before I bought my ADV.  I had high expectations for that bike based on all of the reviews I had read.  But I left the test ride dissapointed.  Although I felt that this was a good example of a DL1000, it really lacked stability on the highway.  I was being blown all over the place, by vehicles which were not very large.  Too bad.

So I thought I'd look at the Tiger.  They didn't seem to come up used too often, and my preference was for a pre-'05 as I preferred less street orientation.  I was excited when an '02 popped up locally on Craigslist this week, so I talked with the owner and set up a test ride last night.  The bike was priced reasonably, but not great, and it is essentially stock.  No hard bags, but I most likely wanted aftermarket bags anyway, so not an issue.

What was I expecting?  Well, I really thought that the Tiger might ride a little like the Strom, but I had to see for myself.  Boy, was I wrong.

Although the Tiger rides very different from the BMW street bikes I am used to, it seemed to do everything it was supposed to do, and very well.  I took it for about a 30 minute ride on city streets and on the highway, and liked it more and more the farther I went on it.  Boy, it should almost be illegal for a bike to feel this good, when you aren't breaking any laws on it!

So I get back to the seller's house, and I need to put on my "Your asking price is too high" game face to begin negotiations.  So what are essentially the first things to come out of my mouth?  "Boy, I really liked this bike more than I thought I would."  D'Oh!

But we work out a deal which is good to both of us, and... I bring home my new Tiger tonight!  All I can say is that I am VERY impressed with this bike.  It turned just 7900 miles during my test ride, it apparently has no issues, and it was serviced by the book at a local dealer.  Can you say   :D

So that's a "little" of my background (can you tell, I'm one of those folks who is really at a loss for words?), and I hope to become a long and contributing member of this site.  Thanks to all of those who have posted in the past who have allowed me to make an informed purchase decision on my new bike.

And here's a couple of pics of the bike from the seller (hope they work).

(Edit:  Sorry, can't figure out how to upload pics to this site yet.  So close your eyes and picture a black stock '02.  Yeah, that's the one).

Tom
\'02 Tiger

\'05 Husky TE510

\'02 BMW K1200LT

\'02 BMW R1150RT

\'05 KTM Adventure 950

Ain\'t Life Grand?

wasions

Oh.  You are going to like this one.   8)

As an aside, I finally rode the Buell Ulysses yesterday.  Now I love my Tiger even more!
Steve

Gear up!

<*}}}><

\'06 Tiger, \'99 DR350

tiger feet

Hi there and welcome from the homeland of the Tiger.

I have a modified '97 (98 YM) 'Steamer', that I've had from new and still love it.

For one reason or another it had been off the road for a while, but have been using it for the last four weeks and it's as good as ever it was.

I rode an '02 955i when mine was in for a service, loved the engine, the EFi worked very well, but that chassis and brakes weren't as good as mine, but then they are modified to my taste :!:

I have to admit that the EFi's looks have grown on me but I still prefer the 'Steamers looks :?:

I hope you get as much enjoyment and fun from your Tiger as I have from mine :?:

Until recently I had a '99 Honda CRM250AR with both road and off road wheel sets.

It was getting used more as a road bike than a trail bike and my trail riding buddy sold his DR350, so the Honda finally went a couple of months ago.

Looking for something else now so on Saturday I'm trying the 900 Scrambler and Bonneville T100  :idea:

The Scambler is favorite, but the T100 is a good comparision I feel, being the same capacity but with very different characteristics :?:

I'll let you know how I get on with them.

Best regards,

Tiger Feet.
Four wheels good, two wheels better, three wheels accident!

tmh

Quote from: "tiger feet"Looking for something else now so on Saturday I'm trying the 900 Scrambler and Bonneville T100  :idea:

The Scambler is favorite, but the T100 is a good comparision I feel, being the same capacity but with very different characteristics :?:

I'll let you know how I get on with them.

Best regards,

Tiger Feet.

There is a guy over on the ADVRider site who has an orange T100 for sale.  What a beautiful machine!  I was recently looking at the new Scramblers as well.

That is one other thing which allowed me to fall in love so quickly with the Tiger vs a bike like the V-Strom.  These Triumphs have some wonderful soul and character, which is just so lacking with so many other bikes.

Good luck this weekend...

Tom
\'02 Tiger

\'05 Husky TE510

\'02 BMW K1200LT

\'02 BMW R1150RT

\'05 KTM Adventure 950

Ain\'t Life Grand?

erwinvw

Welcom TMH...

I too am a new Tiger owner, (3 months)...

I love it. 40,000km on the clock and very strong and reliable so far.

I line in Nova Scotia, eastern Canada, and my town of 4000, people are actually stopping by my house,,,,

Wondering what it is and saying how cool it is! Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Erwin

tiger feet

Well, I rode both the T100 and the Scrambler and liked both.

They are quite similar in some ways and very different in others :?:

They both have loads of character, but I ended up ordering a new Scambler, it had a bit more going for it , attitude:!:

I got a good trade in price for the Tiger too :!:  

It arrives in about 7 days, it had to be ordered from the factory as I wanted the red and white.

It reminds me of the BSA A65 Firebird that a guy at college had back in the mid/late 70's.

Triumph made a Tiger Trail in the early 80's for a short while too.

Can't wait to collect it, but will be sorry to the the Tiger go, but lots has changed since I bought it almost 9 years ago including my requirements from a bike.

I hope that the Scrambler's going to be a good as the Tiger has been :?:

Best regards,

Tiger Feet.

JRO

Quote from: "tmh".

5)  '02 BMW K1200LT.

I can never resist the opportunity to tell people...

Sell it, or consign it to the junkyard, before it kills you.
JRO

2006 Tiger

tiger feet

Sorry, but I've never really got the 'BMW thing' :?:

Over here the car drivers do not promote the brands image in a positive light :?:

The riders club are a bit strange too, thinking that they're something special, and like a lot of Harley riders will only acknowledge other BMW riders :?:

It's not all of them but a majority in my experience in over 20 years of riding bikes of all sizes.

I may well have sturred up a bit of a hornets nest :shock:

Better disappear fast :idea:

Best regards,

Tiger Feet.